Just finished my build- Now some problems

GoldenMotor.com

aryan805

Oct 31, 2010
Santa Barbara
So I just wrapped the install on my beach cruiser. Everything seems to be running great. What I have noticed is that the spokes on the drive side of the rear wheel have gotten loose. Also I am noticing a consideable wobble to the rear tire, enough where it is rubbing on the fender. Any suggestions to why I am having these problems would be greatly appreiciated.

Thank You
Ash

Last edited:

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
If its a coaster brake hub be sure to check your bearings! I've built a few cranbrooks with the coaster hub and they need attention as they break in- the bearings seem to come loose until finally settled. If your spokes are loose on the wheel check it over very carefully! Might take the sproket off, make sure all is tight and true , bike shops can do this for you for about 10 bucks if you cant do it yourself, then reinstall the sprocket and check those bearings often until they dont come loose anymore.

aryan805

Oct 31, 2010
Santa Barbara
Took off the drive sprocket and found that I have four spokes that were snapped. Rim is kind of warped. Ordered a new heavy duty wheel with 12 ga spokes.

aryan805

Oct 31, 2010
Santa Barbara
So I got my new wheel, ordered a narrower tire for clearance on drive chain.

Now I seem to experiencing another problem. Started the motor up and it seemed to be running fine. Came to a stop and motor idled for a couple seconds and then cut out. I am also noticing that there is gas leaking from the spark plug and the plug seems to be wet.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I always use antisieze on my sparkplugs. Not just to ensure it doesnt get stuck in the head but also acts as a seal. Make sure you have it tight enough also. You cant crank it down as with any spark plug you will strip the threads in the head- no fun, but good and snug. Also check for any vacuum leaks. Per Norm I like to put black rtv around the intake (on the shoulder not the area that will meet the gasket in the carb) and then install the carb. Of course routinely check all fasteners on the bike. The vibrations will make things come loose.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Probably nothing you did to the rear wheel. It's just a cheap wheel that needs to be trued.

My cheap rear wheel isn't as true as it was at first, now after a couple hundred miles. It wasn't perfect to start with.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Spark plugs have a crush washer. If you don't crush it all the way after a few miles the plug will come loose.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I had a small intake leak where the intake manifold meets the head. It caused the idle to be erratic and sometimes die, and oil would leak onto the fin just under the manifold and run around to the front of the engine.

It was easy to fix with some gasket sealer.

After about 50 to 100 miles you should retorque the head bolts. I did mine 120 inch lbs

BADBOOH

Apr 3, 2010
San Diego CA,
Sounds like you got some good info. Is that an OP? Remember, enjoy eery good ride these china girls are real problomatic, however, was you get use to the routine maintance, things start to smooth out. Enjoy!!!!