Hau Sheng 4-stroke

GoldenMotor.com

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi I built this bike from a kit I wanted to test, and parts and pieces from around the house.

I did buy the little HS/JL, the baseplate, and pipe, the rest of the stuff is standard China Fire.

This bike is probably a Murry or Huffy middleweight form the Made in USA days that I bought for 40.00

Front end is stock, Viscount saddle, Standard 105 Taiwan wheels that I handle.

I have ridden maybe 50 miles, and let many others try it, but now the drive system has failed for some reason. I have bought a Honda, and traded for a Grube gearbox, which, it seems, I'll test on this bike. I have also purchased a Long Pipe, and I will test both pipes stock, before making mods that I alfready see to be necessary.

After I install the Honda, I will figure out what went wrong here, tho I will probably not re-use the JL gearbox, as I have other plans.

After I took these pics, I drilled the crown and installed a caliper front brake.

Mike

Attachments

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
I have heard of several people who have had sheared keys either on the crankshaft or output with the JL- someing to consider if its all rev and no go.

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Deep in the American South
This bike is probably a Murry or Huffy middleweight form the Made in USA days that I bought for 40.00
i almost bought an old Murray today at a roadside vegetable stand. it was rustier than this one, which would make for a nice riquimbili in the ratrod style. sadly, i had no cash at the time.

wouldn't it be cool if someone came up with a plain metal cooling shroud for those little 4-stroke engines?

anyway, cool project bike, Mike - keep us posted on future developments.

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Re: Hua Sheng 4-stroke

Hi Guys, luckily the color on that bike is mostly red primer NOT all rust, some tho I guess? (wouldn't that be scarey, if it were all rust?). I have forgotten now, but I may have put a repop springer on it, I'll know when I get back home.

Yes Hough, the early JL was a real problem, BUT I do have some ideas as to how that can be overcome, tho I've not applied myself to that yet.

After I get home this bike is on the front burner, since I was unable to get another motormount, I will be dual-purposing this bike. As soon as I find another motor mount-baseplate, I want to build another basic bike of this type to do good comparisons of my work with the HS vs Honda the battle of the 50cc GIANTS!

I have high hopes for this project.

Mike

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
...wouldn't it be cool if someone came up with a plain metal cooling shroud for those little 4-stroke engines? ...
It sure would, but since they aren't out there, I wet sanded off the grain with 400 grit and have primed and sanded, primed and sanded.... to the point where my shroud is as smooth as metal. Still in primer, but soon in paint.

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi well thanks NoGoodnic, have I finally suceeded in building a "Rat Bike"?
I see now, hat since I took these pics, I put a chrome repop springer, and front brake assembly on her.

I was going to guy a kit to get the parts to mount the Honda, but, A guy needed the kit (or wanted?) so I'll repack it (he got to me BEFORE I assembled and installed, but AFTER I had unpacked it from a distroyed carton.

Now I will need to make a Motor Mount for the Honda, but that should be ok.

Mike