Quickest and Easiest Conversion?

GoldenMotor.com

Catfisher

Apr 10, 2010
Heart of Illinois
Hey Guys,

As beautiful as all the custom builds are, I don't have the time, money, skill or energy to do a bike of my dreams.

With a goal of funcionality, economy and convenience in mind please give me your opinion / judgement on the following question.

If I want to retain the use of my 21 speed deraileurs and I feel I am not qualified to install a jackshift kit along with a gas engine (I'm not a fabricator); would the simplest solution be a front wheel drive electric hub kit?

Have you installed/driven a front wheel drive bicycle? I wonder how "normal" it would feel?

I am also posting a separate battery question.

Thanks for your help,

Catfisher

.flg.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If you dont want to fabricate the front wheel drive is the easiest yes. I don't personally like hub motors but they are all the rage these days. Go with at least 500 watts 36volts in my opinion. Not that it's worth much the experts will weight in soon im sure..

jdcburg

Jul 9, 2009
massachusetts
CF - The main thing to consider with any hub motor is the fact that the same amount of torque that is spinning the motor (and your wheel) is trying to spin the axle backwards in the dropouts. Aluminum front forks are a definite no-no as they can crack or break w/o warning and your forks could then tangle with the spokes. The results will be pretty ugly if everything comes over on your head. Steel or steel alloy forks can be tested with a magnet. They are OK but you really, really should buy or make a pair of torque arms specifically designed to prevent axle spin. A torque arm is similar to the piece of metal that comes off the old rear coaster brake hub and attaches to the rear fork. Those do the same thing - keep the axle from spinning. You can buy rear hub motors that will allow you to keep all your derailleur speeds. They are much safer although you should still invest in torque arms for the rear too.

My 1st ebike was a fwd, but it had a motor over the front wheel. It was a little different to ride but not much. I suspect hub motor bikes handle like heavy regular bikes - jd

jdcburg

Jul 9, 2009
massachusetts
ps - you can probably do a non-hub drive using a Currie, scooter or e-wheelchair motor pretty cheap if you are creative. It will take some work and some time - jd

zabac70

Mar 17, 2010
Belgrade , Serbia
JDC is right. Also , you should know that turning handlebars will be somewhat harder(at some speed) , because of gyroscopic effect and added mass on front wheel. Otherwise it is OK (rear is better).

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
The standard HT two stroke install is pretty easy and if you stick to the kit 44t rear drive sprocket, you won't touch the 21 speed stuff.