AMCA Swap Meet - Denton Farmpark

GoldenMotor.com

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I agree with SB That is one awesome bike a totle work of art. Love both your bikes. Everything thats been built latly is way didn't I think of that. I Got to get things done so I can biuld this winter. Thanks for the insperation...Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Specs are below...I basically made the whole thing. Frame, forks, bars, rack, ect. everything except the fenders and seat. Coolest features are the throttle linkages, 4 rods from the right pedal to the carb and the fan air routed through the frame and blowing on the front of the motor to cool. Thanks.

Louie

Peace Specs

Frame is 3" stainless steel tubing
Motor is 1936 Wisconsin AB
Comet torque converter
Worksman wheels
Air from fan is routed through frame and blows on front of cylinder
Homemade sprung front end
Drum brakes front and rear
Final belt drive
Homemade stainless steel handlebars
Rod control throttle through four linkages to carb
Stainless steel velocity stack intake
Ford Model A throttle and brake pedals
Custom kill switch lever through rear downtube
Homemade SS luggage rack
Lexan primary cover
Diamond plate running boards.
What is the seat off of,or were can one buy one? That is just awesome

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Louie,
I have a few questions. First, you said you used to collect motorcycles, so I wondered if you ever had a Simplex and if so what you thought of it?
I'm interested in how you made your springer front forks. The one on the Monroe looks like a leaf spring, is that right? And the one on the Peace, is that hydraulic or is it spring loaded? It looks like you used a second front fork and adapted it. Clever! How well do they work? Are you happy with them and would you make either of them again?
SB

LouieMCman

May 28, 2010
GA
I've never had a Simplex but wouldn't pass one up if I had the chance, don't know much about them, weren't the early ones push start?
The monroe springer was made with help from a golf cart leaf spring and rockers from an early bicycle, it works great with a couple inches of travel. The Peace forks were a different matter. They are spring loaded and were hard to design because they is a LOT of weight on the lever that bolts to the neck. The first one I made cracked and I had to beef it up with a piece 3/4" X 1/2" thick metal, all seems well now, it has about an inch of travel in the shock (spring). Prabably won't be making another like the Peace, way to much trouble, but a good learning experience in mechanical engineering.

LouieMCman

May 28, 2010
GA
Seat is a mystery, I bought it a antique MC meet and think it's off an early scooter of some kind. I'm open to ideas?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hmmm, a golf cart spring, eh? I will tuck that away in me brain in case I ever come upon one. I like it a lot. I kind of figured the Peace setup was more difficult to fabricate. It looks cool, though. The seat almost looks like an upholstered tractor seat. I can see a tractor seat with some foam and a leather cover working nicely.
SB

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Louie depending what you are trying to do with the Indian you can still get the engine it is a morini I have a link to them they are a little pricey but a good engine, we had an Indian back in the day, the kids started with trainer wheels on it. Have fun Dave

http://www.herdan.com/engines/

LouieMCman

May 28, 2010
GA
You mean like this one Dave? I've had this one for about 20 years, My next project is beside it. My kids grew up riding it and now my grandkids are ready to ride. What's unique is I have a factory sidecar that came with it. I have pictures of the sidecar rigs being raced in the 70's. I'll dig up pictures of the sidecar and post.
I've already started the project by making some new forks, I have some grand ideas but went simple with some straight stainless pipe......more later.

Attachments

butchl

Sep 30, 2008
Garden City, MI
Louie: Yes I think the EARLY-Simplex was push start. They are just so Retro-Cool. I'm thinking about 6.5 h.p. for mine and keep the belt drive. It has to fit into some category. Maybe ( just fun ride)?

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Louie - A sidecar that would be sooooo cooool, Ill look for pic's of the kids. Unfortunately it did not survive. I still have the Honda QA 50 that was out riding with the Indian, but not as cool. Have fun.

PS: Found one

Attachments

Last edited:

Bob Gurkin

Jan 1, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I totally agree with the comments about the Servi-Cycle. I love the '30s look and the light weight. I'm in the process of finishing one now....found a rusty frame and seat. I added Worksman wheels (with the front brake) and am now installing a Chinese Honda clone (Lifan) 4-speed with an electric start. Used the standard motorized bike sprocket bolted to the rear spokes. Now I need to finish the jack shaft to line up the drive chain. I'll see if I can attach an in-progress photo of the rolling frame.
Still having too much fun with motorized bikes.
Tom Bartlett
Hi Tom. I too am restoring an old Simplex and wish to install the Worksman wheels, but am having difficulty finding them. Would you be so kind as to divulge your source of supply. Also, I am intriqued about the Honda clone 4 speed. How is that working out for you?

Bob Gurkin

Jan 1, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I have very little experience with the motorized bicycles (building one for my nephew) but I have owned and restored several of the Simplex Bikes. There is a fellow in Dothan, Ala who has a very comprehensive selection of parts. From original to repop. His name is Wayne Mahaffey, PO Box 655 Trinity, Ala. 35673 256 353 5552 You should find any part you need to either complete a restoration or build one from the ground up. I must admit that the original brakes left a lot to be desired and would not trust them. The Worksman wheels should take care of that problem and Wayne has repoed the original front wheel brake to give a bit more stopping power. As someone said in one of the earlier posts the older bikes were a push start. With my 37 Simplex you had to push it off to get it started and then hop on. Then you had a lever on the left side you would depress thru three notches to gain top speed, which wasn't enough to get excited about. However, with the lousy brakes and so so bearings you did not want to go very fast. The bikes ride like a dream. You will find yourself sitting more upright and the huge ( I prefer the 26x3 tires) give you a real feel of the road. There is a fellow who is selling repoed bikes with a 5hp briggs, electric start, worksman wheels and it meets all of the requirements to be licensed. Top speed on his bikes is in the 60mph range.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
That's Awesome kids really love these motor bikes. I think it is really fun to share these gems with them. There is a sense of independence and fun imagination with these fun toys. No doubt with those grins they will wear that bike out too:)(^)