39 Elgin Velocipede finished!

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'm declaring it done for all practical purposes even if there are still things to finish up (wiring, fender & skirt repair, paint touch up, drop stand holder to be made, etc.) which won't happen until summer. For now I'm just riding and enjoying the heck out of it. I didn't build this by myself. The inspiration of my fellow Rustoration build-off buddies was a constant source of energy and ideas, seeing others' builds elsewhere on the forum gave a kind of cyberspace camaraderie. Jim at Creative Engineering contributed the awesome rear sprocket adapter which gives such a smooth transfer of power, a great Worksman front drum brake wheel from Fasteddy gives me very sure stopping power, BarelyAwake's encouragement to experiment with an expansion exhaust, Rockenstein's free sharing of the Apple Juice Gas Tank idea and most recently for his help in fixing my centrifugal clutch. I'm so pleased to have it running smoothly and rock solid without a rattle anywhere. I love this bike and wanted to share my satisfaction in having it pretty much done, (with a little help from my friends). I took a couple photos by the fish pond down from my trailer as glamor shots. Gotta have glamor shots, you know.
More pictures on the Rustoration thread will follow, more discussion of the centifugal clutch fix will appear in the thread on that subject and more details on the expansion chamber on Barely's catalytic muffler thread later. Gotta go ride my Velocipede... woohoo!

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Silver,
That is beautiful. Those classic lines blended with the little 2 stroke make for a study in old and new technology married into an eye pleasing combination. Congratultions on another fine build. The glamor shots just brought it all together too. Thanks for sharing with us. Enjoy it, my friend.
Tom

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks for the positive responses. I know step through bikes aren't for everybody and vintage bikes leave some people cold, but this model Elgin sure does ring my bell. Elgin designed some of the most beautiful bikes ever. I have a 34 back in Minnesota which is going to get a two stroke and maybe a shift kit... next winter. It is the same basic design and in better condition than this one was. The engine plugs right in without any special mounting. What a satisfying build this was. A bike project is a great way to pass the winter and spring riding is a great way to celebrate the build. I hope you guys are getting lots of riding in.
SB