Gas tank building help

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Nice! The only other "board tracker" frame to really rival that one in good looks is the Worksman Newsboy, in my opinion. That's going to be a nice one. Yeah, it wants a tank.
SB

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
I'm going to keep that bike as is and maybe add a motor later. I really enjoy just riding that bike it rides like a dream and it's just plain fun. This is the girls bike I hacked up for the board tracker in the real early stage. I figured I'd cut my teeth on that bike as I have lots to to learn and I'd rather make mistakes on that one. Here's a picture of my gas fill, I don't like the hose bib fittings some people use so I'm using a 1 1/2" brass fitting and I made a plastic in lay. I did this one to see if it would work;I'll make a nicer one for the finished product. Here's gas tank design #4 with the glass petcock fuel filter I plan on using. I think it will give it some character and it fills in the open space under the tank. I got anxious to try out the design so I threw it together today and went for a quick jaunt with the peanut tank. I wanted to use the original springer but I really thought front brakes would be smart so I had to use the re-pop springer. I still have lots to do and decisions to make, it's amazing how much research,thought, trial and error goes into fabricating. I had this great idea of painting it in WD-40 colors and even had the paint custom mixed but I don't know if the yellow is going to work the blue in this application. Brian

Attachments

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The glass filter would go really well with some copper line with a compression fitting. The inlet on my CNS is pressed into place, so I'm just using a 1" section of hose between it and the 1/4" copper line. It's a bit of a cheat but also makes the carb easier to remove.

Jus' an ider ;)

oh right, should ya wish/need to get a new filter, NAPA haz 'em - part # 7-02350 ...$10 I think?

Attachments

Last edited:

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
That's what I had in mind also with the compression fittings after I bought the hose barb fitting of course. Does the filter actually work? I was trying to find a filter that would blend in as I didn't have a ton of faith in the ole separator

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The screen is somewhat coarse but with the bowl acting as a sediment & water trap it was the accepted design for years before paper filters, a larger, slightly more complex version is still in use on some prop planes...

It's defo good 'nuff for this application ;) Best yet - it's cleanable/rebuildable FTW

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Really nice build. Tank looks great. Only suggestion would be to find a way to either disguise or kind of hide the CDI way down under or up under the seat maybe.
SB

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
Thanks guys, I had the cdi under the motor but it looked empty in front of the motor. I think I'll put it back under the motor because it does look crappy. I thought about making a box of some kind to put it in but I haven't come up with anything I like yet.