Hf 2.5

GoldenMotor.com

Felton

Dec 17, 2009
GA
I bought a grayhound 2.5hp motor last weekend with the intent to rack mount it on my bike. I have been doing a lot of research. That engine looks a lot like the Yamakoyo yk250.

I don't know if I am going to follow though with it but I want to put a staton 18.75/1 inside drive on it with the gx100 adapter. I think it just might work. I will have to drill, cut and tap my shaft because it is 2 9/16 in. which is about an inch too long.

I just need to know what the diameter of the hole is on the adapter and how wide that 1/8 in lip is Or if someone has a gx100 laying around and can give me a couple mesurements.

Any thought, opinions and questions would be great.

Last edited:

Felton

Dec 17, 2009
GA
Ok so I have come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter if the lip lines up correctly because if it doesn't I will file it off. Next question is about centrifugal clutches. Would any one care to recommend a clutch that might work (76mm with 5/8 in. keyed shaft) other than the honda clutch. I was thinking the grubee centrifgal clutch might work. Is there any reason it wouldn't work? I also thought about trying to disassemble something like a Hilliard Extreme-Duty centrifugal clutch and see if it works.

Again any thoughts, opinions and questions would be great

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
Check out the EZ Q matics. Hit the link in my signature & you'll find lots of info about it. You can mount them in the frame or rack mount them. The gearbox can be mounted on the engine horizontal or vertical.
Jay

Last edited:

Felton

Dec 17, 2009
GA
I thought about using the Q. I just haven't seen many pictures of it, particularly with it taken apart or one side of it off so I can see how it works. Some pics of the mounting side would be nice also. Would the Q-matic bolt up to my engine without any adapters? What is the output shaft sizes? How much does it cost? What is the warranty if any?

Felton

Dec 17, 2009
GA
Ahhhhh. So if I read correctly then the cent. clutch is the end of the gear box not mounted to the motor but attached to the drive sprocket/chain. Now i want to see a picture of the guts even more.

Hi Felton,

Ahhhhhh, the Q-Matic!!!!!!!! Made to fit a wide variety of motors. Unlike the "others", the Q-Matic supports the entire clutch between 2 LARGE bearings. Many of the smaller motors [under 2 HP] can not support the heavy Max-Torque clutch [2.6 pounds] on the crankshaft for a long period of time. Many optional 4 stroke motors idle at 800 to 1000 RPMs and some idle at over 2000 RPMs [Honda GHX50, HS 142, etc]and the Q-matic can be adapted to a multiple of choices. The Q-Matic by design is not as wide as all other belt drive drive systems [approx 2" wide from the side of the motor]and offers a better riding stance [won't be "bow-legged" or walk funny after a ride]. The Q-Matic has an adjustable drive plate & bearing cariers to adapt to many mounting configerations. The Q-Matic is made from a very special aluminum [often used in medical transportation systems], in fact the entire system checks in at under 6.5 pounds.

Special EZM pulleys can alter the clutch "stall speed" for motors that idle from 800 to 2200 RPMs. Primary ratios are easily altered in minuites. Almost 50% of the clutch is in the air stream to keep it operating cooler.

The Q-Matic has been tested on several Grey Hound motors from H.F. and worked 100%.

I will attach a "spy" picture of the 4th edition [current production] Q-Matic showing the 65 parts used in production.

The retail price is $259.75 and includes a 1 year parts warranty.

American engineering and fabrication at it's best!

Just remember you saw it here first.......

Have fun,

Attachments

Last edited:

Felton

Dec 17, 2009
GA
Wow. I LIKE. I still have a couple of questions. What is the gear ratio coming off the Q-matic. I am trying to get my motor geared lower than most people would like. Say I buy a clamshell adapter for mounting my sprocket, will this the q-matic allow me to coast when I let off the gas?

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
with the Q-matic, when the gas is off, the centrifugal clutch dis-engages...
so it has no noticeable drag when pedalling
I pedal with the trailer/girls when on sidewalk or at school with the oldest, so it was a big plus for me :)

Felton

Dec 17, 2009
GA
But what about when you let off the gas will you coast without the centi clutch engaged or will it stay engaged and slow you down? What are the gear ratios I can get?

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I back off the throttle and coast down hills all the time
the town I live in has killer hills and with the weight of the trailer/girls, I am waiting on a 72tooth (!) sprocket and adapter from Jim at Creative engineering...I will report on the results :)

ratios are out of my league,,,I would suggest calling Quenton or Mike on that part

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
HI Felton, if I knew your weight, and weight of bike, and what terrain at what altitude, whether you'll use gx50, HS 50 or what engine I can help you.

We have many availble ratios, this is not an unsurmountable problem at EZM.

Mike

Felton

Dec 17, 2009
GA
Well I am using a harbor freight 2.5 hp engine at sea level on a semi-flat dirt road. I plan on hauling a load of up to 150 lbs plus me (190 lbs). I am not sure how much the bike weighs but the motor is about 20 lbs so I would think a total weight of 450 lbs should be good.

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi Felton, the HF Greyhound will have less potential at the top end but will pull out of the hole nicely I am told.

For an owners report you can check with Rustico Ray, KilroyCD, or Fossil as they have built and run that engine with Q-Matic.

Here is what you will want, 26" rear wheel, 56 tooth rear sprocket, and standard Q-matic drive and you will be all set to go.

The nicest setup forthe rear drive is Jim's Maniac Mechanic adapter and sprocket setup, I know, as I use them myself! Those who know me will tell you that I believe that credit is due where ever quality is present.

You may want to do a 90 degree manifold for the exhaust and run an EZ-Pipe for the exhaust system as the origional "can" or "box" type muffler is not going to be very pleasant.

As to the clutch, here is how mine works, I can accellerate to around 34mph, riding as needed, and the clutch stays in like a manual, when I decellerate to about 22mph the clutch drops out and it freewheels (tho I personally do NOT like free wheeling), as I roll on the throttle the clutch re-engages and off we go under power again.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Fossil

Mar 15, 2008
Guthriesville Pa
A couple of important things you must remember are the mounting hole spacing and the angle of the drive when mounted. On the Honda and HS engine the mounting hole spacing is 76mm where the Harbor Freight engine it is 66mm. The drive must also be angled down slightly to allow the rear bearing mount to clear the cylinder that slants back rather than going straight up like the HS and Honda. Not a major problem but one that can not be ignored. I also increased the primary pulley size on the Q-matic from 1.85 inch diameter to 2.25 inch diameter. This was needed to have the clutch engage sooner with this engine. The Harbor Freight engine idles lower and does not rev as high as the HS or the Honda but it does have more torque. Maxium RPM's on the Harbor Freight are around 4500-5000 max. The HS and Honda easily hit 7500 RPM's. Hope this info helps you. Here are a couple pictures of my HF build.

Attachments

Last edited:

Felton

Dec 17, 2009
GA
Fossil: I was planning on a rack mount. So I will probably go strait down with it if that is possible. Is it an option from EZM to substitiue the 2.25 in diameter pully for the 1.85? Do all I need to do is drill some mounting holes in the frame to make my 66mm pattern fit? Or maybe I should just ask what I need to do to make the qmatic fit to my hf engine?

MotorbikeMike: I was planning on using Maniac Mechanic although his website only show a 54t. How much does the EZ-Pipe cost (I may consinder it)?

I am hoping for a gear reduction in the range of 3.4/1 to 4.0/1 from the q-matic. My calculations tell me that if I get the 54 tooth sprocket from Maniac Mechanic, my speed should be under 20 mph @ 4500rpms. Well aproxamatly 19.5 to 16.6 mph (used 7ft for the radius). That is my target range unless ya'll think it would be ok to have it geared higher pulling 150lbs on a cart?

Thanks for the help guys. Keep the info coming

Fossil

Mar 15, 2008
Guthriesville Pa
Fossil: I was planning on a rack mount. So I will probably go strait down with it if that is possible. Is it an option from EZM to substitiue the 2.25 in diameter pully for the 1.85? Do all I need to do is drill some mounting holes in the frame to make my 66mm pattern fit? Or maybe I should just ask what I need to do to make the qmatic fit to my hf engine?
Yes you can have the Q-Matic drive go vertically. As far as the pulley goes I used an adjustable pulley to find the correct size for my application. To answer your question, yes you can use a 2.25 pulley without any mods on the Q-Matic drive. Just change it out. Yes to the other question too. Just drill 4 holes on 66mm centers to mount the drive. It is as easy as that. I am also using a 54 tooth sprocket with an adapter from Creative Engineering. It works great.

Jim

Hi Felton.

Just a few comments about the Q-Matic. The primary drive is 2.6216 X 1 and the secondary drive is 5.6 X 1 in the production drive. The standard ratio is 14.68 X 1 and the corrected speed is 24 MPH @ 4600 RPMs [39.5 MPH @ 7500 RPMs]. Considering your intended use I would suggest ratios of 15.97 X 1 [22 MPH @ 4600 RPMs].

Will the additional weight be pulled or added to the bike? Pulling a trailer normally requires different ratios than added weight.

The H.F. motor pulls strong on the bottom end and selecting the right ratio is important to use the power curve correctly.

The Q-Matic can be ordered with different ratios if needed.

Have fun,