hoot gearbox oil level?

GoldenMotor.com

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Seems like trying to save on a cheep kit is cool. But the coast in worn or broken parts that you may or may not be able to get Plus all the frustration and down time Totally not cool. I would be talking a baseball bat to it.........If you knew about the problem befor you bought it. You must
be a masocist. dont know if thats spelled right . But you know what I mean...........

Last edited:

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
I know it's an old thread, I have the same HOOT as in the above PIX, had to use "Aviation form-a-gasket" due to the imperfections in the casting cover not letting the gasket seal (little divots), I only have about 150 miles on this box, I use 85-140 gear oil,about 4 -5 oz. the literature in broken English states it's a wet clutch and if the clutch chatters, add some more lube, they also recommend "lucas stop-leak" be added to the mix(very comforting on a new gear box)
All in all, it's nice to have a 5:1 gearbox, but I don't expect this to last in the long run,it will just give me time to get the other stuff on the bike right, then I'll addre$$ the good gearbox.

Mac

Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
Here is another question... I pulled everything off except for the clutch bell just to see how hard it would be to upgrade to one of those pocket bike cvts... standard 3..." centrifi clutch bell of course. How the *#bleep&* do you get the freaking things off to upgrade? i noticed theirs a allen bolt at the nipple right after that gear teeth on the bell houseing. I think i might want to figure a way to keep it turning with the enigin in order to pop it. but jesus folks.... how would you go about pulling this if you were ever to upgrade gearbox/tranny?

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
If you remove the large gear with key-way(the shaft stays in the gearbox),tap the large gear lightly as your pulling it off the shaft, once it's off, you will see 2 more allen head cap screws that need to be removed(with lock washers) then the whole box is off your motor. Pop the master link and remove the drive chain before you do this, much eaiser.

Mac

Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
If you remove the large gear with key-way(the shaft stays in the gearbox),tap the large gear lightly as your pulling it off the shaft, once it's off, you will see 2 more allen head cap screws that need to be removed(with lock washers) then the whole box is off your motor. Pop the master link and remove the drive chain before you do this, much eaiser.

Mac
Thanks mac, ive gotten that far just wondering how the heck i can safely temporarily lock my piston up so i can get the bell/clutch off so i can rock a pocket rocket bolt on cvt kit.

I tried taking the allen out of the top of the bell housing but it keeps turning the engine over, scared the bejesus out of me now that i think of it i didnt pull the plug boot of while doing this....

VegaBajaRider

Mar 31, 2011
Orlando
I know it's an old thread, I have the same HOOT as in the above PIX, had to use "Aviation form-a-gasket" due to the imperfections in the casting cover not letting the gasket seal (little divots), I only have about 150 miles on this box, I use 85-140 gear oil,about 4 -5 oz. the literature in broken English states it's a wet clutch and if the clutch chatters, add some more lube, they also recommend "lucas stop-leak" be added to the mix(very comforting on a new gear box)
All in all, it's nice to have a 5:1 gearbox, but I don't expect this to last in the long run,it will just give me time to get the other stuff on the bike right, then I'll addre$$ the good gearbox.

Mac
Mac so how the gear box is working out this few days ? having problems with it too will try your formula if all is right... i recently purchase a Q-matic box ( still waiting on mail ) hoping this be an upgrade been belt drive looks indestructible haven't found a bad feedback on it yet...

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
I changed the oil 3X, right now it is quieter than new under acceleration, but it does whine a bit under engine braking conditions, no more leaks, clutch slips when you start, but I feel a positive engagement at around 10 MPH. The large center gear does"wander" a bit, I will shim it next time it's apart. I plan on shimming it on the cover side to correct the off-set from the primary gear(not fully meshed) Sooooo, I have about 300 miles on it so far, engine is getting broken in, I will report when i find a problem. BTW, angle cut gears, 5.2:1 gear type HOOT

Mac