55 Monark Rocket Tank

GoldenMotor.com

mpr455

Jun 27, 2009
lombard il
Hey Guy's I Found Some Pictures Of An Original 50's Monark Rocket And I Noticed That The Tank Had Some Elaborate Stripes With The Word "rocket" Inside The Stripes. My Rocket Had Some God Awful House Paint Brushed Over The Original Finish. So I Brushed On A Thin Layer Of Aircraft Paint Remover And Waited About 15 Minutes Then Blasted The Paint Off With A Pressure Washer. Guess What ? The Original Lettering And Color Is Underneath In Fairly Decent Shape. Kind Of Like Finding A Fossil. Now I Will Take Some Tracings Of What Is There And Put It Into The Computer, Clean It Up And Make A Paint Mask. The Original Colors Are Maroon And Creme That I Will Have Matched At The Local Autobody Supply. I Have To Strip The Fenders Next To Get The Dimensions And Shape Of The Stripes On The Fenders.-big Mike

Attachments

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
cool! a few years back, i bought an old roadmaster from the 30's with about 4 layers of housepaint on it. i could actually peel the paint off in strips, and the original paint was in excellent condition. i mean, for a 70 year old bike. pinstriping, everything was still there. i felt the same way, it was like i was un-earthing some hidden treasure.

Mike GeniuS

Oct 27, 2010
florida
Here's a pic of my rocket build - an actual rocket tank-im-restoring-

if you need more pics let me know.

Hey Guy's I Found Some Pictures Of An Original 50's Monark Rocket And I Noticed That The Tank Had Some Elaborate Stripes With The Word "rocket" Inside The Stripes. My Rocket Had Some God Awful House Paint Brushed Over The Original Finish. So I Brushed On A Thin Layer Of Aircraft Paint Remover And Waited About 15 Minutes Then Blasted The Paint Off With A Pressure Washer. Guess What ? The Original Lettering And Color Is Underneath In Fairly Decent Shape. Kind Of Like Finding A Fossil. Now I Will Take Some Tracings Of What Is There And Put It Into The Computer, Clean It Up And Make A Paint Mask. The Original Colors Are Maroon And Creme That I Will Have Matched At The Local Autobody Supply. I Have To Strip The Fenders Next To Get The Dimensions And Shape Of The Stripes On The Fenders.-big Mike

Last edited:

Mike GeniuS

Oct 27, 2010
florida
Looks like it's even the same color as mine. cool. my dad got this one brand new in 1950. so it may be a little older than you think. If you ever find out how to identify the exact year, please let me know. please keep me posted on the build, & i'll do the same.

Mike GeniuS

Oct 27, 2010
florida
Hey Here's some original paint, have the rear rack, too.(also painted on from factory.) Their not pictured here, but what are the 2 rods on the front for for? I have them, but I think i'm missing the top mount. The only thing not original on this bike is te sprocket.(my dad said he changed it in 1965.)
http://motorbicycling.com/attachmen...storing-late-40s-rocket-then-pict0122-50-.jpg

Mike GeniuS

Oct 27, 2010
florida
One more thing, the pinstripes on the fenders & rear rack are BABY BLUE & YELLOW(TAN) If you have any Questions on the actual color or anything else, I can talk to the original owner(my dad). Feel free to contact me @ [email protected]

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey Here's some original paint, have the rear rack, too.(also painted on from factory.) Their not pictured here, but what are the 2 rods on the front for for? I have them, but I think i'm missing the top mount. The only thing not original on this bike is te sprocket.(my dad said he changed it in 1965.)
http://motorbicycling.com/attachmen...storing-late-40s-rocket-then-pict0122-50-.jpg
A couple weeks ago I removed the pedal crank from an early 50's Monark Deluxe before shipping the frame off to Fasteddy in BC. You're welcome to it if you want it. I can send a photo of it if you want to see if it matches the original. Not sure how well it will clean up. Skip tooth chain got sent off to Louie McMan and I'm using the front fork for part of a leaf spring front suspension for my "Indian" Worksman. This old Monark gets around...
SB

Mike GeniuS

Oct 27, 2010
florida
Oh, man. That would be fantastic. just let me know how much you want for it, I'm very interested. Thanks very much. Oh, yeah, I'm in Central Florida. (near cape canaveral)
- Mike -

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Could you show a photo that has the pedal sprocket? I want to see if what I have is the same as yours. Mine came off of an early 50's Monark Deluxe.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Oh, man. That would be fantastic. just let me know how much you want for it, I'm very interested. Thanks very much. Oh, yeah, I'm in Central Florida. (near cape canaveral)
- Mike -
I just went out to take a look and you know unless I'm mistaken the sprocket that was on that Monark was not a skiptooth and the chain I sent to Louie was from a skip tooth 51 Schwinn. I think the Monark had gone over to the regular sprocket by then. I'll go look some more... be right back.

I'll do some more looking in the morning when the light is better. What is the rear wheel on your bike? Is it New Departure? The one I brought is is not a Schwinn type of sprocket... what is in the picture of your Dad's bike is the Schwinn type from the early fifties. This one that I'm sure wa on the Monark is in pretty good shape as far as rust, but not perfect. Let me look through my vintage treasure hunt thread to see the pictures there and see if I find the Monark with a clear picture of the sprocket that was on it. Also, Fasteddy would know what the early 50's Monark would have had for a sprocket.
What do I want for it? Nothing. The bike was at the town dump and was rescued by an Indian friend fifteen years ago, given to a mutual friend of ours and has sat under a tarp outside since. My friend gave it to me. I gave it to Fasteddy because he is a Monark guy and has been generous to me. He gave a fender from it or another one (not sure) to another forum member, Curtis Fox, for his Monark. It would feel all wrong to try to make a profit from that old sprocket, especially since I have become interested in your Rocket and your dad's story. It would be extremely cool if my sprocket ended up on your bike. Let's see first if it is the right one for you bike. Then you decide if you want it. You can pay me back for the shipping, how's that? And pass the kindness along to somebody else.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey Steve,
No, not a skiptooth. Befuddled, old Silverbear is. I'll do some sleuth work in the morning when I'm less tired. I'm sure the one I brought in to look at is the one that came off your "new" Monark. Would the rear hub have been New Departure? I'm pretty sure that's what I pulled off your bike. Not that the rear hub much matters. We'll get it sorted out. And if for some reason this was not the original sprocket, maybe Curtis Fox has one. Enough. Too tired to think.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Had to take a look in the photos... yes, that is the sprocket that was on the bike and is similar to Schwinn at first glance, but is different and more ornate. I touched it a bit with fine steel wool and it will clean up very nicely... pedal arms, too. It's a very nice sprocket, especially given its history of neglect.
Looking at that frame again... did I really give that away? Just kidding. Those Monarks sure had nice lines. Just begging for a built in gas tank. Can't wait to see all three Monarks now in this thread once more in their glory.
SB

Attachments

Mike GeniuS

Oct 27, 2010
florida
Hey, silverbear, thanks for the help on my bike. It's not easy to find info on this bike (my dad doesn't remember what the orig. looked like). if that does end up the right one, i'll give you some $$ for it. (least i can do.) by the way, my cranks have a offset on ONE side. Looks like to clear the chain guard? I'll send some close up pics today.

Thanks.

Mike GeniuS

Oct 27, 2010
florida
Hey, silverbear, thanks for the help on my bike. It's not easy to find info on this bike (my dad doesn't remember what the orig. looked like). if that does end up the right one, i'll give you some $$ for it. (least i can do.) by the way, my cranks have a offset on ONE side. Looks like to clear the chain guard? I'll send some close up pics today.

Thanks.
P.S. There's 2 struts for the front fork, I think I have them somewhere(I may have lost them), but There's no top mount. Is this what they call an internally sprung fork?

Thanx for all your help.