Anybody try this kit??

GoldenMotor.com

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
did a little experimenting with gearing for pulling the trailer full of granddaughters...
other than that, no :)

was getting 200mpg stock, now with new gearing around 180-185
I got my kit in April and rode a lot till it got hot here
starting to cool down finally (only 100 now) so I will be putting the miles on her fast again :):):)

geeksquid

Feb 14, 2008
it's a hoot gearbox...'nuff said :(
That gearbox looks quite a bit different than the regular old JL Hoot gearbox. If it has been redesigned with a chain and the gears have been eliminated, it's a completely different gearbox. The Hoot is now obsolete and only in old stockpiles, but definitely worth looking out for. Don Grube has removed it from his site. However, if this new gearbox is using #25 chain, I'd still be leary of it, even though it HAS to be an improvement over the old piece of junk. I had one of those little cheapy electric scooters that used #25 chain and I consider it toy chain. I don't think it even has rollers. I'd prefer regular bicycle chain over that stuff. If they had used #35 or #41 chain instead, it might be a reliable improvement, but no, they had to stick with the inferior junk.

This is the old Hoot gearbox (without the cover).

The new gearbox.

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
AFAIK no one has posted more than a few hundred miles with inframe 4 stokes before the gearbox broke down compared with 2 strokes which regularly tally in the thousands. I own four of the 4 stroke kits but fear to use them personally because of this. Would love to be proven incorrect.

None of the kits listed are in-frame. Staton has a lifetime warranty on their gearbox, they don't breakdown in a few hundred miles. DAX doesn't use a gearbox so it can't have problems with it. GEBE doesn't use a gearbox either but does have other problems, belts, spokes.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Have Been Thinking About Building A Rear Rack Setup With The Chain Gear Box And One Of My Titans. Purchased 2 Of The Rear Rack Mounts From Bicycle-Engines.com Last Week. $49. What A Bargain, I Will Not Build My Own Racks Anymore. Will Use Dremel Tool To Cut Strut Boss`s Off 1 Rack And Reweld On Othe Side, To Convert It To A Rite Hand Drive For The Cvt Setup. Also Thinking About Ordering Their Inframe Mount For 4 Stroke. Ron .cvlt1

Attachments

Last edited:

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
I dont give a HOOT.

LOL

Thats dax sells a frame mount 4 cycle shifter kit . That uses the scooter guy s stuff.

the scooter guy deluxe kit includes a nice ATV thumb throttle with heavy duty kill switch , freewheel drive system with sick bike parts threaded cranks and motor mount with hardware , chain , gear reduction box , and custom gear ratio designed for your requirements. $250.00 delivered Sick Bike Parts
To this add A TITAN ENGINE
bicycle engine kit, bike engine, bicycle engine, bicycle motor

Last edited:

geeksquid

Feb 14, 2008
None of the kits listed are in-frame. Staton has a lifetime warranty on their gearbox, they don't breakdown in a few hundred miles. DAX doesn't use a gearbox so it can't have problems with it. GEBE doesn't use a gearbox either but does have other problems, belts, spokes.
But according to DAX, he's currently developing a new in-frame setup, yes a true in-frame, not the present one that's mounted up by the fork tube off centered to the left. The upcoming one sounds like what I've been hoping for. A true center mounted in-frame, 4 stroke and with gears. The guys making the current rack mounts like dax, staton and gebe are building high quality setups, but there are those of us that don't want a rack mount. I do kinda like the toothed belt setup of GEBE and I think it's highly reliable, but I'd still rather have a center frame mount. This could easily be engineered with not much more than a jackshaft mounted to the seat tube and a good idler pulley. GEBE shouldn't be having trouble with belts. Those should be very tough. To eliminate the spoke stress problem, someone needs to make a non-spoke mag type wheel or maybe using a wheel with 11 gauge spokes would solve the problem.

geeksquid

Feb 14, 2008
The old hoot gearbox actually reminds me of the Flintstones. That's exactly the type of gears it had.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
EZM kits, as well as grubee are in frame :)
this thread was started about the new BGF in frame :)

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
GEBE shouldn't be having trouble with belts. Those should be very tough.
All you have to do is browse motorbike forums to find out that's not true and plenty of people have belt problems.

GEBE themselves think so little of their kits to tell me I wouldn't be happy with it and they didn't want to sell me one, just because I already have another kit. I'd say that speaks volumes about their kits.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
What 4 stroke kits do you own?
What engines?
What gearboxes do they use?
why do you have 4 of them?
thanks

1. Generic chinese (newer ones with adlustable plate)
2. HS
3. Hoot
4. They were cheap

Like I said, I don't know of anybody who got thousands of miles on any inframe 4 stroke. I got 14k on one of my HTs and thousands on a couple others. I'm not alone.

You can buy 5-10 of the 2 strokes for the price of a reliable 4 stroke. I'd like to use my 4 strokes but need a better gearbox before I can trust them.

Last edited:

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Staton has a lifetime warranty on their gearbox, they don't breakdown in a few hundred miles. DAX doesn't use a gearbox so it can't have problems with it. GEBE doesn't use a gearbox either but does have other problems, belts, spokes.
Stanton warranty not withstanding, nobody had posted getting thousands of miles on any inframe 4 stroke like many have with the 2 strokes. They are generally described as better than Hoot but still problematic.

Dax Titan does have a gearbox (I've got a couple) and it's not inframe.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Dax And The Scooter Guy Use The 5:1 Ratio Gear Box. It Will Reverse Direction At The Output Shaft. I Have A Pic OF IT And One Of The New Livefast Rear Rack 4 Stroke Titan Trans And The Engine. Will Edit The Pics In In A Few Minutes. RON .cvlt1

Attachments

Last edited:

buzzkill

Aug 22, 2009
atlanta, ga
Do you think they will fit in frame or rear mount only, does it help with the low end torque going up hill?. I really want to go 4 stroke as I am having no luck with the 2 stroke kits, they will run good for a day or two then they just keep giving one problem after another, how are your 4 strokes holding up any problems?

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Buzz, The Titan With The Cvt Is Close To 12" Wide. Anything Can Be Done. The Extra Extra Pedal Crank Would Be The Hard Part And Then It Is A Rite Hand Drive! The Putput Shaft (output!! Lol!) Turns In The Opposite Direction. It Is A Great System For Rear Rack. Nobody Has Complained About The Titan That I Know Off. Most Any Systems (mab) Are 3 Time As Much Money As The Happy Time Kits. More And More Are Using 4 Stroke.

buzzkill

Aug 22, 2009
atlanta, ga
The price is not the big issue, just wanna build something I can actually trust and use. I went with the 2cycle kit because i heard nothing but bad things about the 4 cycle gear box problems. Since I bought the 2 cycle kit I have spent more time pulling my hair out than enjoying it, I think my new venture will be the titan with the CVT on a rear mount, smother running and more trustworthy. Thanks for the info and I hope the CVT setup holds up for the long haul.