I say im finished but... here it is thus far.

GoldenMotor.com

tomaz

Mar 10, 2009
Eastern Shore MD
Well my first MB is finished and I am happy with it so far. I know within a few weeks I will be making changes but for now i will tell the wife I am done. It not healthy to lie to yourself is it... I rode it to work Wednesday and Thursday and with the exception getting to learn the engine, clutch, etc. all went well. Still takin it slow on the new motor...

Attachments

tomaz

Mar 10, 2009
Eastern Shore MD
I've been thinking about braking in general. I was thinking about a dual cable grip with rubbers on front and back and then loosing the coaster brake but from what I have read there isn't a whole lot of options for freewheel sprockets on the rear hub. Any suggestions?

Sep 4, 2008
Huntington, WV
I have a coaster rear and disc front on mine. I use the front 95% of the time. I like the rear coaster because it's one less lever to deal with on the handlebars. The thing that scares me about the dual brake lever is gravel/sand on the road. I have learned the hard way (a dozen times, lol) that gravel and front brakes don't mix well at all.

tomaz

Mar 10, 2009
Eastern Shore MD
Good point. My other concerns about the rubbers would be wear. I'm afraid that because of the regular speeds the wear would be excessive. I looked at the disk brake setups at a bike shop today and I think I would need to change out or modify the front forks to accept it. It is definitly something to think about...

Sep 4, 2008
Huntington, WV
Yes, You would need new forks, new front hub, and disc brake kit. Very pricey.. I bought my front rim, hub, and tire at my local bike shop and they were more than my motor kit :( If you got a cantilever brake you could replace the rubbers a dozen times and still be ahead of the game.

LouBuilt

Mar 1, 2009
Maine
Lots of black LOOKS GREAT! I used the same color scheme on my Schwinn Spoiler. The whitewall tires are a plus also. Nice Build..trk

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
An alternative might be a Worksman front wheel with drum brake and 12ga spokes for $99.99, this includes everything but tire and tube. It's on my list of parts to buy. GOOD brakes are your friend. Walter F.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
I couldn't imagine running without front brakes but I do get sick of buying the rubber pads every month. Five bucks a month is worth having the ability to stop.

pedal pusher

Feb 20, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I am leery too of having only a coaster brake on my first attempt bike. I would appreciate other builders opinions and ideas as to what is the best brake for the money and especially simple mounting for the most effective front brake.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Where did you get that headlight tomaz and is that new? I really like the look as well as where it mounts. I have way too much going on on my bars.