start problem

GoldenMotor.com

manuel310

Oct 1, 2016
sun valley
Could a too rich fuel mixture prevent my bike from turning on?...it pops and jolts forward as if struggling to turn on...but only turns on when it wants to...any ideas???

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Yes, but a better question will get you better answers. It's always a good idea to mention what engine you have, what mix you are using, how many miles on the engine, etc. etc.

For a possible quick fix you can try closing the spark plug gap down to .022 inches. Try with choke on, with choke off, with choke halfway, no throttle, full throttle, half throttle.

By providing more information about your issue there's a better chance that more experienced members can solve it.

Here's a good thread to read.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=35090

Ron344

Oct 13, 2012
colorado
I have noticed lately on My motorbikes that the rubber grommet in the shut off valve has gone bad because of ethanol in the gas. It plug up with rubber particles and won't let the gas thru. Just something I have come across on My bikes.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
To start off you would want to check gas flow out of the line by taking it off and seeing if it makes a steady (if small) stream.
Then make sure your spark plug wire is on the plug right, some of them get bent up and make poor contact. Check the head nuts for tight. Then try starting it.
If no start or even trying to start, pull the plug and lay it on the head and walk the bike forward to turn it over and make a visible spark. If none, recheck your wiring connections and kill button.
Good luck to you.

Ron344

Oct 13, 2012
colorado
These motor rarely have problems with the spark. If the flow isn't stead if you take the fuel line off, then that is your problem. If that not it it could be the float is sticking. There are only three thing you need to make run fuel, air and spark. if you have them three your good to go.