a flat in the woods

GoldenMotor.com

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
don't you just love it, you get up stupid early to go bow hunting. get 2-3 miles from the truck, just "deep enough" into the woods. then BAM!! flat tire...
now you're walking back... lol

oh well, it's still better than a work day.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Man, I consider myself blessed.
I've yet to have a flat on one of my bikes but was with a buddy, who I built a bike for, and he had one about two miles from the house. As luck would have it he ran over a 1/16" cotter pin that went through the rear tire sidewall. Weird, but it let the air out and he had to walk the bike back to my house. I walked my bike with him. No fun.

I don't even carry a patch kit or spare tube when I ride. Maybe I should reconsider.

Tom

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
It's a coin toss, really. Some folks do seem to have more flats than others.

For myself, flats are pretty rare. Though they do seem to come in pairs. And sometimes even threes.

I used to make sure I always had a pump and a patch kit with me. Then I'd go two years or so without a flat. Finally I'd need to repair a tire. My patch kit would be filthy and the pump wouldn't work.

So now I don't bother. When I do have a flat I lock my bike to a tree and walk home. Then I bring the car back, pick up the bike and drive it home.

I just don't know whether to recommend a patch kit and pump or not.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Of the 3 flats I have had 2 were self inflicted. One I couldn't find what popped it and it was a rock in the tire that I just put back on. The second I pinched the tube inbetween the tire and rim. A lot of it is just doing what ya need to do properly!

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
oh well, i'm going to look at it as an "opportunity" to get rid of that cheap walmart tire.
i didn't like it anyway.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
I had three all in a row, bing bing bing..
The first one was a long walk, the second one was because the first one wasn't fixed right, the third was from a crappy road full of metal trash I won't ride down anymore..

It all stopped when I put toughy liners in the tires and new rim liners on the rims.
I hate flats, and walking more than a couple hundred yards is really painful on my bad leg.
Spend the $20, it's a good place to put it.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Man, I consider myself blessed.
I've yet to have a flat on one of my bikes but was with a buddy, who I built a bike for, and he had one about two miles from the house. As luck would have it he ran over a 1/16" cotter pin that went through the rear tire sidewall. Weird, but it let the air out and he had to walk the bike back to my house. I walked my bike with him. No fun.

I don't even carry a patch kit or spare tube when I ride. Maybe I should reconsider.

Tom

I've also never experienced a flat on this bike (but have on a motorcycle at speed). I'm now running tires with a kevlar liner and thornproof tubes --- hopefully my luck will continue.

dance1

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
oh well, i'm going to look at it as an "opportunity" to get rid of that cheap walmart tire.
i didn't like it anyway.
Niagara Cycle is a great place to get tires --- they have almost any type/brand/price point that you can imagine. Best of luck with the 'upgrade'.....:D

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Niagara cycle really is a good place for tires and other bike parts as well.

By the way, I do have some advice for installing new tires. Spray the inside of the tire with Armor-All. Spray the tube as well. Smear it all over so that both surfaces are entirely wet. Or very nearly so.

Then pump it up to about 15 psi. Bounce the tire on the ground, rotating it as you go. Sort of like dribbling a basketball. Let some of the air out and then fill it up all the way.

This will eliminate almost all chance of tube pinching and stuff like that.

Some people use talcum powder, Shower to Shower, stuff like that instead of Armor-All.

I've done it, too. Both work fine.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
3 FLATS this year alone-- every one a Deck screw in the rear tire all at a different locations along my points of travel. I swear these things seek me out this year.