Tank advice

GoldenMotor.com

aiyasu

Sep 29, 2008
Usa Rome, Georgia
Could anyone give some advice on a homemade gas tank for my bike. The tank on the ww is ok for now but i would like to knnow what others are doing for bigger tanks. ty foy the help in advance.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have a two quart plastic canteen that I like best of all my home made tanks. It is round and strong. I also have a propane bottle tank that I'm not using. It was impossible to get a filter in so I bought an inline filter but I think something got through and ruined the carb on the bike. I have just got the carb replaced with one from an even smaller engine. 25cc vs 33 cc chainsaw bike. I don't know what I will do next.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
How large a canteen? sounds perfect. I have Heineken keg/beer ball. Seems to thin though.
Not to go off topic, but (ever notice every thing before "but" is a lie?) I can't wait to do a build with a propane converted engine. Not sure yet if it can be done with such a small motor, but what can go wrong? rotfl

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
the canteen is about ten inches and is round. I used the strap to attach it to the bike in several places. It is rigid plastic not that film that they make coke bottles from. It holds two quarts of gas they say. That half a gallon. it is also the size that I mix.

I might go back to the one quart propane tank. If I do I think I'll put about three ounces of gas in it then lay it on its side, I'll just turn it ever day for a week. You know like a fine bottle of wine. That is to let the gasoline dissolve anything that it will, BEFORE I hook it up to the bike again.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Very cool Sir Deacon. I have seen that pic and didn't realize that was your tank. We should have a contest for funkiest tank.

I need more winter prodjects!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL, that would be cool. And its brass. That really could be done well. I was just sitting here staring off, into space thunking about this. The old brass fire extinguisher is sounding cool about now. But that's been done very well already.

I am thinking a plastic lawn ornament. "flying flamingo" OK, that is not real good, snork. Or ammo case. That would look awesome on an olive green cruiser framed MB.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I found a cool old tank on eBay for about $10. It's plastic and needs a little work to make it good, but it's cool. It could be mounted a lot of places.. I'll get some pics. I've been so busy with the OCC StingRay that I haven't had time to work on anything else.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I found a cool old tank on eBay for about $10. It's plastic and needs a little work to make it good, but it's cool. It could be mounted a lot of places.. I'll get some pics. I've been so busy with the OCC StingRay that I haven't had time to work on anything else.
Comfortableshoes, I was looking at your stingray earlier. Sweeet! I was going to send you a link. a guy on clist has an old one and wants $1400! Just the bike. Has to be a typo.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
Comfortableshoes, I was looking at your stingray earlier. Sweeet! I was going to send you a link. a guy on clist has an old one and wants $1400! Just the bike. Has to be a typo.
Thanks man, a lot of work went into that bike, its been a sweet ride that gets a lot of attention, I'm very happy with it and how it rides.

I'd totally be interested in seeing that link.

It depends, if it's the ORIGINAL OCC full sized stingray- the XL, adult sized, 26in front tire etc then they routinely go for $900 on eBay. Those were made in a limited edition run, so are actually worth money. Not $1400 worth but still worth some dough. There is some fool out there that will probably be parted with his $$$ though.

I've seen some outrageous prices recently on the OCC Stingrays, well over $100, and claims that they retailed for $200 (Truth $149, most places) The only one of the children's worth over $100 IMO is one of the original 2004 black, red flame decals and with the words OCC Chopper/Stingray on the side. The rest were mass produced.

I did a lot of research on these bikes because I didn't want to possibly harm a bike that could possibly be worth thousands some day, so I got two "05 or '06 mass produced blue and black bikes. I wouldn't want to put an engine on something and devalue it. I have this dream of motorizing a Raleigh Chopper but finding one from the new production has been close to impossible. And there is no way I'd put an engine on one of the Choppers from the 60's 70's or 80's They are worth just too much... But man oh man how cool would it be? It would be right up there with my OCC StingRay!!!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
stingray

It is a '72. I really wanted the shifter, lol. shows how much I know about them. There are a bunch in hartford clist.

I am working on a saddle mounted 50cc. Thinking it would look and work great on a modern stingray. drive will go to a jack shaft where a rack mounted motor would be. Then down the other side to engine driven sprocket.

Last edited:

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
Dan, I call for a build thread. LOL. That stingray is sick. Those are awesome bikes. I wish I still had my POS one from when I was a kid. That would be worth something now- it was green and someone had spraypainted it dull blue.. So sad, but redone now it would be priceless.

I can't wait to see pics of your build. There is room on the right side of these for a 3 or 5 speed hub... Jack shaft to that and a rapid fire shifter up front... man tht would be something.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Old stingrays seem to be on htfd clist a lot. I will send you links when I see em. I never thought they were "all that" but that shifter is very cool. I met a guy at a swap meet who has 12 still in the box. When he told me it was for his retirement, I thought he was a loon. snork. Live an' learn.

Saddle mount has moved up to #3 on project short list. I hope to compete with the budget minded consumer/entry hobbyist market. There are about a hundred on the back burner but numero Ono is a 1903 style with a 79cc frame mount. This (if it works and is pretty) is going to be awesome and flag ship of line I hope to market by next spring. Man, whats not to love about this addiction?

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Yeah yeah, give a kid a new toy and they forget there old ones lol... Just kidding shoes it's a great looking bike. You did an excellent job.

I have one of those small kitchen sized co2 extinguishers that has been empty for years I'm sure. I could drain it and pop it. the valve is going to be small like the propane cylinder it would need and inline filter.