Freak Bike project.

GoldenMotor.com

Mr.GhettoRig

Mar 25, 2012
Port Charlotte
not exactly a true "RAT" but I felt this is the category it fit best in.

scored this practically new 99cc predator from eBay. I think my plans as far as the engine's internals go are to just leave it as it is to run it on the bike and see how it handles, don't wanna blow money and time on mods and have it tear the bike apart ya know? In order to fit it in the frame I gotta remove the tank and muffler. So I think i'm gonna buy my friends tear drop tank since he's no longer into motorbikes. then I'm gonna run a straight pipe and as much as Id love to leave it pure header, it's getting a muffler. I wanna attract the LEAST attention from the police as possible. And that aircleaner is one of the most chinese piece of junk things I've ever seen. that's getting replaced with a K&N style. lastly, I need a 49cc sticker to replace the 99cc one.

the frame is a freak mix of a huffy mountain bike thats spent 10+ years sitting, and a Next B-dazzled kids cruiser. the rear is 24" and the front is 20" making the frame closer to the ground and bike bike feelin' real cool to sit on . my original plan was to go with a suicide shifter and keep the stock derailleur.. but with this motor I don't know about that. unless I can think up a way for multiple speeds- my plan is to figure out a way to use the crank spot as a jack shaft, and have a single sprocket on the rear wheel. To add to the unique effect I MIGHT get my hands on some disk brakes. also she's getting a rear fender.

Added grips yesterday. that dummy one was a pain because the hole diameter was exactly the same as the bars, and it was made more out of hard plastic than rubber so it had NO flex in it at all... ended up putting a rag on the end and beating it.

this is the paint scheme Im kinda thinking. blacked out rims with dual whitewalls (because I love whitewalls). i'm replacing that seat with a unique looking one with two cussions. frame I wanna blast and coat in some blue Metalcast and a bunch of clear coats to help prevent scratching.

so thats where I'm at. I estimate this project will be a little over $200 (a lot for someone with no job) so the project wont move at lightning speed but it will happen.

tell me what'cha think

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
lol

You are off to a good start, MGR !

personally, I'd like to see a lower CG on things...
Get out the hot wrench and start axin' tubes!

Nice little motor. I sure like them.
I've read every report the fellows have posted and wish I had a dozen of em!

...I spent my 4 cycle money when HF had the 200 lifan on sale for $59. No regrets, but that 99cc really is a handier size, and close enough to legal to embellish the truth of the matter. :-0 i didn't say that...really I didn't!

Best
rc

Mr.GhettoRig

Mar 25, 2012
Port Charlotte
lol

You are off to a good start, MGR !

personally, I'd like to see a lower CG on things...
Get out the hot wrench and start axin' tubes!

Nice little motor. I sure like them.
I've read every report the fellows have posted and wish I had a dozen of em!

...I spent my 4 cycle money when HF had the 200 lifan on sale for $59. No regrets, but that 99cc really is a handier size, and close enough to legal to embellish the truth of the matter. :-0 i didn't say that...really I didn't!

Best
rc
I get ya on the center of gravity thing, theres just not very much room to extend the bar anyway though. plus I'm a beginning welder. I sat in the frame with the motor lodged in there and it feel's like it'll be nice and comfortable. but then again, we'll find that out for sure when she starts MOVING.

Would that engine be okay running at that angle? It doesnt look like there would be an issue, maybe even since its leaning on the cylinder side it MIGHT help throw oil in the cylinder better. I dunno.

I need to come up with a drive system though. I'm thinking just clutch to jackshaft would work the best with the least amount of trouble. which brings me to a question, those clutches on AGK "specifically made for HF 97cc and 99cc engines" do they fit on the predator 99cc's? I'm just asking because I hear the Chinese measured the shaft in metric and regular 5/8 clutches dont fit without some modifying.

I'm not sure exactly how I'm gonna set up the jackshaft just yet, i'll have to do some homework on that.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Hey MGR,

The people at Affordable Go Karts are very highly thought of here.
If they have the components you are interested in, I would not hesitate to buy from them. If you have any questions, be sure to ask them about your concerns.

Gosh, this bicycle stuff is perfect for a beginning welder!
Learn how to weld on these, get in a bunch of technical studies, and perhaps one day you could weld on aircraft or the nuke boats!

There is always demand for a qualified precision welder.

...I'd cut out the bottom tube and fab something to mount the engine lower, is what I'd do! lol

Best
rc

Mr.GhettoRig

Mar 25, 2012
Port Charlotte
I plan on building a mini chopper from scratch using a big block flathead when I get a shed and my own welder... but anyway...

I did a quick mockup drawing of where I would cut and reconnect the frame, I copied and pasted the engine and it doesnt fit without cutting the main frame support, UNLESS I add more rake to the forks, which Id rather not do because I like the style as it is.

So I think in the end I'm gonna stick to mounting it where it fits. but thank you for the suggestions!

Mr.GhettoRig

Mar 25, 2012
Port Charlotte
I brainstormed ideas on how to set up a multispeed shifter, then put them on AutoCAD

the pulley sits in between the drive and driven pulley's. the return arm has the same shape as the shaft and has a spring connected to both those holes to keep the pulley pulled upward to put tension on the belt. the stick has some kind of cam on it to push the shaft outward when you move it to another slot.

the mounting plate is a square in the picture but will hold the entire system if/when finished.

well thats the idea anyway. I may need to connect some kinda cable to a lever on the stick to pull and release tension when you're stopped or shifting.. its all still an idea in the works.

and by the way the stick assembly and the plate with the speed tabs both line up holes... I took the picture before I corrected it.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
As much as I can guess is that it is not a kinda derailer for a belt and multiple pullies, but instead like the way a serpentine belt goes.

You may have a way of moving the belf off one one size pulley to a different size pulley for a second ratio to develop. An idler pulley allows this arm to have you push the belt off one pulley and onto another.

Probably I'm all wrong about this, but kudos to what ever it is and let no one tell you it won't work. You go!

I've been doing a radical 47:1 ratio 3 belt 2 jack shaft system so I can save the clutch shoes and go between 3.5 and 5.5 mph for parade speeds on my multi-use dirt bike / mutant fish art vehicle.

If I can swing it, I will be swapping the pullies around to get about somewhere between 20:1 and 30:1 for the Brigg 3hp engine to get 26 inch wheel so it good for hill climbing but not as slow as turtle parade speed. Otherwise I have have to invest in 1 or 2 more pulleys.

MT

Last edited:

Mr.GhettoRig

Mar 25, 2012
Port Charlotte
the pully was going to press against the belt like a chain tensioner, there was going to be a handle to release the tension and the pulley plus some kind of derailleur was going to drag the belt to the next 'slot' on my driven and drive pulley.

as much as I want to get it to work, I've realized I simply dont have the money to R&D that right now, so that'll hold off. I'll probably just get the clutch from AGK and run it right to the wheel. I'm in desperate need of a form of travel.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Ah I see. I was going to say an additional information thinking that maybe it would be like a derailer, but was stopped short by thinking that having it move over from one to another with out fully having a gap would be interesting. I figured I'd wait to have you expain.

There are pulleys that have multiple sizes in steps that are all on the same with keyway full across. I saw some of this at Grainer online.

I tell you, when about 40 years ago using no clutch worked just fine direct belt drive. Yea the engine chugged at low rpm and I suppose more carbon sooted up inside the head, but that just gave higher horsepower as compression went up. Actually I know the carbon will eventuall cause problem though.

I'm finding that the range of speed without gears really is a limitation, so I sort of feel no clutch gives a better range of speed if the clutch is not a manual one like the centrifugul type I have.

I'll see about having 5 to 7 mph at 2200 rpm and 11 to 15 mph at 3500 rpm with either respectively 30:1 or 20:1 ratio for dirt biking. I'm not wanting to get going very fast but hill climb. You won't see me hanging on from a hand hold on the back of the sissy bar by the back of the banana seat. Yea flying for a while and the pull myself back on the seat and land OK.. right!

MT

Mr.GhettoRig

Mar 25, 2012
Port Charlotte
Unfortunately I have some bad news. I realized yesterday that I'm in way over my head on this project. Was already gonna cost around $200 and yesterday I realized both wheels are shot. So since I don't have the funds I'm gonna put this project on hold. I'd like to complete it but I simply don't have the money.