Exciting ride today

GoldenMotor.com

virginian

Dec 19, 2009
McLean VA
I do almost all my errands on my motorized bike, rarely taking a car. Today I did a 30-mile round trip to a doctor's office, riding through Farifax County, Arlington, and Alexandria, VA.

It was a challange planning the route. The street naming system for back roads is bizarre. If you go straight, the road will probably change names several times. One street name will be used for several disconnected streets. Sometimes I had to jog 2 blocks to the left or right to find the continuation of the street with the same name. Of course, I got lost a few times, but eventually was able to get back on track.

A few sections of road had 6 lanes and lots of traffic, but they were really no trouble because I can pretty much go fast enough to work my way into the traffic, like when switching lanes to amke left turns. But a rear-view mirror is essential so you know what's behind you.

I used 2 short sections of bike trails to connect parts of my route and i alsmost always cut off the motor on trails. The first trail was down hill so that was easy. The second one a steep uphill - I figured sc**w it and used the motor. That was nice!

I rode 30-32 mph whenever I has a flat straightaway. Average speed was 22 mph (lots of stop signs and traffic lights). Max (downhill) was 37 mph. The route was hilly. I did 2400 feet of climbing. On a pedal bike that would be hard, but it was nothing on my motorized bike. The temperature was 97 when I got home, but it didn't feel too had because the bike makes its own breeze.

Attachments

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
I know getting back home after one of those rides gives you a real sense of accomplishment.

Not only did you make it back alive, but knowing that you didn't have a break down, and actually had fun doing it makes it quite a thrill.

I need to be in a certain state of mind to get out there in traffic.

Self confidence is a must. I have a hard time sitting in that left lane waiting to make a left turn. With my left hand holding in the clutch lever I know there is no way to make a left turn hand signal. Not only does oncoming traffic not know I'm turning, but the cars behind me don't know what I'm doing either.
Scary stuff sometimes.

I like the everyday bike rider who isn't scared to get out there and mix it up
with all the other idiots on the road. It takes a fair amount of balls and a good amount of common sense too.
..........Keep riding brother

TiM