Offset pedal crank

GoldenMotor.com

TANGO

May 26, 2011
IL
I know I did see one of the Bike Parts Places had off set Pedal Cranks for added Engine Clearance . Were can I buy them and is it also better to run shorter ones .

TANGO

May 26, 2011
IL
Thank you Venice you are always a great Help I may end up doing what you said . I Found two different Type of off set cranks that I can use ? Not sure what one would work Best . I will do a Bit more checking .

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Tango,
Give the link to the source for those for others. Thanks. I've used several of the first one shown on wide four strokes. On two of them I still needed to bend the arms even more using the arm-strong method Venice suggested. One advantage of the first one is if you need to lower a four stroke as much as possible to fit a big engine into a tight frame you can change the sprocket to one with 36 teeth, as found on some kiddie bikes for free. The bad part is that the crank arm is keyed into a hexagonal shape so most other sprockets won't fit the crank. So, you have to file out the round hole into a hexagon to fit. Not a big deal, but takes a little time.
I don't know that the three piece can use a smaller sprocket, but the advantage with it over the first one is that it is even wider. I don't have the measurements for you offhand. As I recall they're the same price and good quality. Using short arms makes pedaling harder and if the pedals are under the engine that can make pedaling difficult, too.
SB

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Tango,
Give the link to the source for those for others. Thanks. I've used several of the first one shown on wide four strokes. On two of them I still needed to bend the arms even more using the arm-strong method Venice suggested. One advantage of the first one is if you need to lower a four stroke as much as possible to fit a big engine into a tight frame you can change the sprocket to one with 36 teeth, as found on some kiddie bikes for free. The bad part is that the crank arm is keyed into a hexagonal shape so most other sprockets won't fit the crank. So, you have to file out the round hole into a hexagon to fit. Not a big deal, but takes a little time.
I don't know that the three piece can use a smaller sprocket, but the advantage with it over the first one is that it is even wider. I don't have the measurements for you offhand. As I recall they're the same price and good quality. Using short arms makes pedaling harder and if the pedals are under the engine that can make pedaling difficult, too.
SB
And this is where the throttle comes in handy......who needs to peddel?

The top crank set-up is for the larger bottom brackets and is single piece (older style) whereas the bottom pictured crank is a 3-piece for smaller bottom bracket shells of the newer mountain bike type. And as BiMoPed was saying, Sick Bike Parts has wide bottom bracket cartridges which can be used with the 3-piece type crank sets.

Hope this helps, more than confusing you....ask if unsure.

dnut

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'd have to check with Tinsmith to be sure, but I know he bought that second one pictured from the same outfit that sells the one piece (to my knowledge the only source for the one piece) and I helped him install it on his Worksman Industrial Bike which is a cruiser type of bottom bracket. It was a cartridge deal, but I don't think he bought any sort of adapter. Came that way. I was impressed at how wide it is.
SB

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
..about the second set, where do I get it? The first set looks like the BGF set annnd, no.

It looks like the second set has all the parts and would clear the Morini. Just need to know where to go to get it :)

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
My source is a different one and they sell both the extra wide one piece and extra wide three piece for cruiser bottom brackets. Both sell for thirty bucks not counting shipping. I'll try to find the link and post it later today.
SB

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
My source is a different one and they sell both the extra wide one piece and extra wide three piece for cruiser bottom brackets. Both sell for thirty bucks not counting shipping. I'll try to find the link and post it later today.
SB
Ever find the link as it is my missin link (wink).

Last edited:

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
Thanks my 6.5 HF cruser build is missing only the wide cranks (and a bunch more cash lol) to get it done and I have to move in 2 months (can anyone say eviction?) so I need to finish this build with enough time to sale it and build another and it might soon be my main ride (can anyone say repo lol? A broken leg can be a real life changer I tell ya what).

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Now that I'm looking at it, Dan must have bought the conversion kit along with the 3 piece version as I recall helping him fit pieces shown in that kit in the bottom bracket. That makes his type close to $50.00 before shipping (if you need the conversion kit) while the one piece is $30.00 before shipping. The three piece version is noticeably wider, but for most applications the one piece is pretty wide and can be bent in a vice to make it wider yet.

TANGO

May 26, 2011
IL
I am getting ready to buy the 3 piece as well . I have seen them with Black or Silver crank arms . I think the silver ones will be more Police Friendly . I still may have to cut and add more to the Right side of that Shaft .

edangel

Sep 7, 2010
seveirville tn
ok i got a china girl pull start i got a wide pedal it clears the motor but it hits the frame on the sprocket side i know i need to get a new crank spindel how do i get the right size there like 5 diffent size 127 mm on plese if any one can help thanks edangel

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
ok i got a china girl pull start i got a wide pedal it clears the motor but it hits the frame on the sprocket side i know i need to get a new crank spindel how do i get the right size there like 5 diffent size 127 mm on plese if any one can help thanks edangel
When asking questions like this it is always easier for us to know what you are talking about if there are pictures.
SB