Weld 76mm Clutch Spring?

GoldenMotor.com

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Ref: (HF 52cc/Monsterscooter, Mits, TL43 Clone engine)

Went in to get a replacement clutch spring from a mower shop and they do not have one in stock, they also only sell Honda stuff and Honda only sells the whole clutch assembly not just the spring. I would have to order the whole clutch assembly for a Honda GX31 or a GX35 and not sure when I would get it.

Was wondering what are your thoughts about welding the original spring where it broke/cracked? I uploaded a picture and it is a fracture. Was thinking maybe I could go to a local welder and have them throw a couple of tack welds where the facture is at and it would hold. Any Ideas? Thanks,

Attachments

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Well I just got back from another small engine repair shop the other mower shop told me about. They told me they were an authorized Robin dealer. So I decided to go to see if they might have a clutch spring that would fit the R/S EH035 that more than likely would fit my clutch as well. Apparently, Robin and Robin/Subaru are different. The shop I went to was a Robin engine repair center but not a Robin/Subaru repair center. Robin/Subaru is a division of Robin. So no luck................

Any idea on whether the tack weld would work to make clutch spring work? It is just a fracture, and the break/fracture is only half way thru the spring metal. Thanks,

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Spring steel can be welded but without proper heat treating afterward there will be no spring action to the area that is heated during the weld. It will also soften the area so the hooked section that is now broken might bend under pressure after being heated/welded.
You can give it a try but it's doubtful that it will be successful.
My advice is to take your spring to an Ace hardware store and look through their selection of springs. All of the ones in my area have a good selection of springs and you might find one to replace yours.
Good luck.
Tom

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Thanks for the help guys...................

I rolled out yesterday morning before I got/read any replies. First stop was at a local welder. He told me he would do it for free, however it might cut the spring in half because there is not much meat there to weld. From there I went back to the original mower shop and ordered a new Honda GX35 clutch assembly. I should get it in about 3-5 days. From there I went to Lowes, no success in finding a matching spring. Then I went to a nut and bolt place, and found a spring with good tension but too long. Bought it anyways and cut it and made it about the same length as the original spring. I installed it last night and rolled out this morning on it. It works, but is a bandaide until I get the Honda GX 35 clutch. The clutch engages too soon with it, and I really don't have an idle, because it engages so soon. It is a quick fix until I get the Honda GX 35 clutch assembly. I had to go this route because my spare engines(with clutches) are back in Florida.(& my paypal confirmed shipping address). Thanks again.