will a sturmey archer 3 speed hub hold up to motored biking?

GoldenMotor.com

4950cycle

Sep 8, 2010
Dunnellon,FL.
G'day John...electric is very cool, alot have a preconceived notion theat they are niether fast of have any range, both are totally incorrect. One thing that is correct though is that it is very very expensive process to build something with decent power and range in comparison with your HT powered bicycle. To answer you question regarding range of my bike, i could easily get 40km from it on a charge, more if i dropped my cruising speed bellow 45km/hr.. I am about half way through uploading a ride video i did today with fellow Endless Sphere member, we traveled 23km today average speed was ~44km/hr to speed was 68km/hr i used 12ah of my 20ah battery pack. I live in the hills of Perth Western Australia, most wouldn't have seen hills like i these I think?... unfortunately both Matt and my cameras shut down mid point of the ride so the big hills we tackled were n't shot, very bummed about this, the video though will be viewable very soon if you check my worklog for the Custom HXT Cruiser in the electric section of this forum in an hour or so you will see a link to it, i have combined video from both cameras, you will see Matts 500watt hub motored MTB also, if you can afford electric and don't need to travel 100kilometers every ride you will get something on the road with modern tech Lifep04 or lithium polymer batteries for under 1500 bucks that would give you the range most would be happy with...Big difference from a 200 dollar HT kit slapped on a Walmart bike i know but thatrs just how it is, IMHO though its worth every damn cent ;-)

All the best...

KiM

p.s most of the off the shelf kits these days are 'plug and play' you need very oittle electrical knowledge mate, it might appear i am clever truth is, this w i struggle to even put batteries in a camera at times, all the info you need is laid out on Endless Sphere forums...
Liked the utube. Im gonna look for a motor like yours. I weigh about as much as you. About 230 Lbs.

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
Liked the utube. Im gonna look for a motor like yours. I weigh about as much as you. About 230 Lbs.
Thanks mate, hahah i am a lil lighter than 250 though, ~85kilo in the new money which is ~187 in the old lingo ... Best of luck anywayz mate, if you proceed with it you will enjoy the results, it is a lil steep learning curve and pricey just keep that in mind ;-)

KiM

4950cycle

Sep 8, 2010
Dunnellon,FL.
Sorry mate, Did not mean to be insulting. I am 6.3 feet tall so 230 lbs. (not kilos) is not that obease , At least here in the US. hahaha. I was just pointing out that your bike was hauling Man weight,not 100 lbs. kid weight. ****, anything would go fine hauling light weight. It takes a better engineered motor bicycle to runalong good with full grown man weight. thats all I was trying to drive home. No harm,just good intentions. Again though, I would like to know the best motor to go with to start. Being the cost is higher than ICE I will have to do one component at a time. I signed up t endless sphere last night. I guess thats a good start, right ? You Ausies tend to know a lot more about these electric jobies than yanks. John

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
No offense taken what so ever buddy, im VERY hard to offend haha..i get what your saying though, the bike hauls some weight and does it easily ;-) as for motor choice, well..how deep are your pockets & how fast and how far do you wanna go? These are the 3 questions you need to answer yourself, then we can start to look into what is available in your price range and where we can procure the components to do it... ...Joining the Sphere is definitely a step in the right direction, you need to checkout the 'non hub motor' section of the forum, thats where all the guys doing builds like mine are found... Also, take some time in the battery section of the forum, get yourself familiarized with some of the batterys available, i.e Lifep04, lithium polymer, A123
Don't be surprised if you don't see much or any info on SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) very rare to see anyone on ES running lead these days, poor performance, heavy and works out more expensive than Lithium when lifespan of the two are calculated into the equation... Gotta hit the sack i am beat, p.m on ES if you need any specific help buddy, i use the nick AussieJester over there ...happy to point you in the right direction if needed ;-)

KiM

4950cycle

Sep 8, 2010
Dunnellon,FL.
Yes, I reccognize the nic already (AussieJester). Sounds great. My pockets are not that deep but that never stopped me from running the good stuff before.lol I like the torque of brush motors but love the silence of brushless. Believe it or not, thats my driving motivation behind wanting to go electric,NOISE . 4 strokes are to slow when they are small enough (49cc) to be leagal here in the US. And 2 strokes can easily be made fast enough within that size range but are absolutely WAY ! to noisy for me. Gas savings is just an added benifit.

4950cycle

Sep 8, 2010
Dunnellon,FL.
Kim, what makes a motorbike fast or torquey, or make power supply last a while. Watts ? Volts ? Tell me anything you might know besides gearing (I am well versed in gearing/ratios). I'm not to keen yet on the particulars about exactly what make an electric vehicle behave any particular way. Thanks for any input you may have.

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Is it possible to use a different shifter on an old Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub? Reason I ask, I just got a sweet deal on a Vintage Schwinn Collegiate bicycle. It is old but practically in mint condition.

My black cruiser bike I had my China 68.5/80cc kit on rear wheel is toast after eating the spokes after 3 back-to-back lacings.

The only problem with the Schwinn is the Sturmey Archer Shifter is not all that great.

I've got an extra Friction Drive, and was considering throwing the Sturmey Archer 3 speed rear wheel on back of my black cruiser bike with the friction drive.

The Sturmey Archer hub has the chain coming out of it. Any ideas?

Would you do this or do would you just try and flip the Schwinn Collegiate for a profit?

Thanks,

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Ohh yea, I forgot to add....................

I've got a couple of grip shifters laying around and was wondering if anyone has ever successfully matched one up with an the old Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub with the chain coming out of the hub? Thanks,

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
My S/A 3-speed came with a grip shifter (TSS33 R3) and I switched to a trigger (SLS3C R3) with no issues. The reverse should be true. As for using a different shifter (one not intended for S/A hubs) that would depend if the indexing distance on the shifter is the same as that used in the hub. From my experience, all indexing is close to the same, but I wouldn't use an indexed shifter with more shift positions than you have. IE: 5-7 speed shifter on 3-speed hub.

I recommend switching the shifter with a proper S/A one. Here's the link to S/A shifters: Sturmey Archer

Ohh yea, I forgot to add....................

I've got a couple of grip shifters laying around and was wondering if anyone has ever successfully matched one up with an the old Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub with the chain coming out of the hub? Thanks,

Last edited:

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Thanks for the info...............

I might just keep this thing the way it is. It cleaned up nice, and the shifters pulley was loose thus the problem with the shifter. It has all the original paperwork as well including original receipt.

Picts. in Atachments........

Looks like it is a Mid-80's model. The protective plastic that you take off to put bike on display that was on the fenders is still stuck to the rivets. Any idea what this might fetch$? Thanks,

Attachments