Sprocket question about weight load

GoldenMotor.com

revanu

Jan 18, 2010
L.A
hey guys, i have a quick question about a sprocket upgrade. i currently have a 46t sprocket and looking at a 56t sprocket for better hill climbs and more towing (backpack weighing about 50lbs + extra gas + weight of the engine + my weight 220) estimating 300lbs dry 325 wet.

will the decrease in top end speed be a major hazard for the engine? i ride 32 miles round trip a day to work and back and i'm slightly worried that if i go full throttle for long periods of time, i'll end up damaging something.

what will i expect my top speed to be? how about gas mileage? will my mpg suffer along with the mph?

(engine is bone stock)
thanks

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
you will need to accept that the sproket change requires that you ride at a lower speed to protect your motor,and enjoy the ability of the motor climing hills etc
my cheap little 4 cylinder cage (auto) wins no races but does what it is susposed to do ,get me there when needed

revanu

Jan 18, 2010
L.A
thanks corgi.

can i throw in a new filter and exhaust to get 'some' of my HP at the top, back? or will that just increase the low end even more? lol

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
http://jimsitton.net/ratiocalc/ click gearratio exe,I think the motor sproket is 10 teeth and you can figure % of speed reduction from the numbers of the 56 ?tooth and speed you have going on w/the 46 tooth now
Your motor will seem stronger w/the gear reduction more hp as you are talking is ok but motor rpm cannot increase to compensate for speed loss ,it must be accepted that you will go down the road a little slower if you want the motor not to rev too high

Last edited:

revanu

Jan 18, 2010
L.A
thanks corgi. i just installed the 56t sprocket and it worked like expected.. conquers a few medium grade hills with no problem and it seems like i lost about 4 - 5 mph according to a gps app.

i'm thinking about the shift kit with my next build