Exhaust muffler plugged up

GoldenMotor.com

moonlake3

Jun 16, 2010
Florida
My bike is a pretty new build..again..All was going good..Now it hardly has any power.. I took off the muffler and put the old one back on..Runs much better.. I was able to clean the old one by soaking in a pan full of gasoline for 24 hours.. The new one doesn't seem to make any difference when I try to clean it the same way by soaking in gas..I read around here for some ideas on cleaning the inside of muffler but don't seem to see anything much..
When I look inside the new muffler it seems to have more stuff inside of it. More pipe.
I did see where some people took their muffler apart then welded it back together. I don't have a welder.
Any suggestions?.flg.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I'm assuming you've a two stroke ofc, if not - ignore me lol

The stock, kit mufflers included with these things are really a bad joke - only made worse when they decided to try and put a catalytic converter on a two stroke - which sounds like what might be your problem. A dense "honeycomb" - it quickly clogs up with unspent oil and carbon, increasing backpressure until it just won't run right. While many have experimented with gutting them, trimming baffles or even runnin' w/o the end cap - while that would "solve" the problem of the catalytic converter, it's really all a waste of time as not only is it annoyingly loud, irritating everyone and attracting the attention of the local law enforcement, two strokes really do need a proper expansion chamber exhaust system to run correctly, there's such a pronounced gain that anything else really isn't worth the bother.

An expansion chamber exhaust doesn't need to be loud, many have a glasspack silencer & it doesn't need to be expensive either. While I like the SBP system, you can make your own with the commonplace "pocket bike" expansion chamber. While it won't just bolt on, you can take the kit headpipe & cut the muffler off, then cut the flange off the pocket bike system - often the pipe's diameters are so close ya can jus' clamp them together, but you may need an adapter - in which case check out plumbing supplies, there's quite a selection of pipe adapters to choose from.

moonlake3

Jun 16, 2010
Florida
Your guess is right. It is a 2 stroke. You hit the problem right on the head. Thanks for the input and after reading half the night, the expansion chamber seems the way to go.Best of "HOLIDAYS" to all.
.flg.

skiball83

Nov 18, 2010
Chicago
Take the tip off and use a 1/4" drill bit and drill it out. Make sure you go all the way through the cat. I had the same problem as you. Cleaning made no difference so I just said well they are only $20 why not. Made a huge difference in performance all around, and didnt make it much louder. More or less changed the tone a bit. Oh and btw make sure you clean out the shavings before you reattach it. I ran mine through HOT water for about 2 minutes with a little shaking in the process. (If your muffler is just like mine there should be a ring with 5 holes in it, just drill through those holes and when you put your tip back on add another nut to it just to make sure it dosnt fall off). Good luck.