Antique Worksman Delivery

GoldenMotor.com

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
Picked it up

It appears to be a real thing not something homemade
I'm not so sure that it was originally married to the bike though but yhe car has been on the bike for a long time

I'm am real sure that the placard was added later because that is not a delivery platform, it is definitely a sidecar, that P pad seat is actually an arm rest and there is a basket that goes on the side so that the passenger can put their stuff in it

The guy I got it from bought it at a Good guys car show in Ga 15 years ago in that condition

I think some one in the 70's found a neat old side car and put it on a neat bike to make a neat sidecar bike

The front light is however gas operated, but the light on the rear fender is from the 80's
The car has been on the bike for a long time

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Congratulations. I think you got yourself a cool bike and sidecar. Yes, it will be one of a kind. I know from personal experience that making a sidecar and frame is no small matter and Fasteddy will agree, I'm sure. He's the sidecar guy. Are the attachment points welded to the bike or can the sidecar be detached? I'm really looking forward to photos detailing how it was done. It may provide a kind of blueprint for others looking to fabricate a sidecar. Take pictures, please. I think too many is better than too few and detailed commentary is always interesting and informative. Even wrong turns are instructional. I know it takes more time and is less dramatic than just showing a before and after picture, but it will be much appreciated by others for a long time to come who will refer to this thread. It may or may not have been an antique, but your bringing it back to life and giving it another incarnation assures that it will be a antique someday. I will suggest that you read my own unfinished thread on installing the HT motor on a Worksman Newsboy frame. ( Firebird, Silverbear's Worksman Cruiser). Then if you have any questions I'll do my best to help as I am able. This is gonna be fun!
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Silver bear, we are about to be joined in the sidecar club. What a worthy addition.
Yes, please send a lot of photos as you go along. Even if we can't be there we can share your joy and struggles through photos.

SB,The third arm starts tomorrow. Should be lots of sorrow there.

Steve.

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
I definitely believe that the side car is an original something or at least very old, but have not been able to find one just like
A few very similar but nothing identical and there are certain parts of it that look like they may have been added
The sidecar is most definitely, IMHO, not originally part of the bike
To my mind that makes it a little cooler

I got my 5'2" mother to sit in it ,by some gifted manipulation, and she fit in it fairly well
I don't think anyone much bigger could sit comfortably in it

The car is attached at several points with simple screws and bolts that may have been removal at one point and hopefully after soaking in PB Blaster fora few days will be again

There are some parts missing at the hand and foot rails which may be rests or pads of some sort

The placards appear to be aluminum, but I didn't think to stick a magnet on them

It rides real nice as long as you keep it tilted to keep the rotted tire off the ground, but I am not loving the coaster brake on something that heavy especially with a motor on it
I'm thinking either a drum brake or disc brakes on all three wheels

I will certainly use your INB thread as a tutorial for this and the other Newsboy (I think, maybe, at least it has the same lines and was cheap) I picked up last week and proudly proclaimed as the last bike I would need for awhile, right after I bought the Kustom Kruiser Roadster, that I proclaimed as the last bike I would ever need
That one I want to put a 175cc on it and call it my Big 10 Inch,( cause that coverts roughly to 10 cubic inches) but I do like living and being able to walk and chew food on my own so I probably will stick to a 50cc four stroke

I'm going to leave this at my mother's house to restore and only let my wife see it the night I show up to pick her up at work
No reason for SB to be the only one to have three divorces under his belt

As soon as I get started with it I will start it's own thread

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Joad, I'm sitting here laughing because you have just described my life years ago only it was antique cars. They just take up more space. Wife number one told me she wasn't happy about them through her divorce lawyer.

God bless Moms. When my 98 year old Mom saw my sidecar her first comment was "I can fit in that for a ride". She meant it too.

Now if I can Pirate your thread for a moment, with apologies. I have had PM's this morning about where my sidecar build was that Silver Bear mentioned.
Photos are on "pictures by speedydick-photobucket".
The thread about the build are on page 6{at this time} of Board Trackers and Vintage Motorized Bicycles under Sidecars.

Please keep us posted. We need more sidecars. My thought anyways.

Steve.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Picked it up

It appears to be a real thing not something homemade
I'm not so sure that it was originally married to the bike though but yhe car has been on the bike for a long time

I'm am real sure that the placard was added later because that is not a delivery platform, it is definitely a sidecar, that P pad seat is actually an arm rest and there is a basket that goes on the side so that the passenger can put their stuff in it

The guy I got it from bought it at a Good guys car show in Ga 15 years ago in that condition

I think some one in the 70's found a neat old side car and put it on a neat bike to make a neat sidecar bike

The front light is however gas operated, but the light on the rear fender is from the 80's
The car has been on the bike for a long time
That is going to be a very cool ride. I'm jealous.