My first Board Track build.

GoldenMotor.com

turkman

Nov 12, 2009
burbank,ca
I haven't herd anyone talkin about this , I got a cns carb and I loved the performince with it but after a few weeks it develouped cracks on the intake flandge I think they were caused by the casting flash not being cleaned at the factory I don't think I can fix it , this happened to a friend of mine also.anyway check it out I didn't and it cost me 50 bucks (call me we'll talk) later Bob

Last edited:

meno

Jan 1, 2010
Australia
Great looking bike, well done great work. look forward to hearing how she goes with the other carby.Cant wait to get started on mine
meno

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
I built this tank for Romans bike. Tanks are 12 gauge on the base sheet because I need to weld the mounting threads (nuts) to the inside of the tank. !2 gauge also gives a nice solid foundation for the remainder of the tank, which is all 16 gauge stainless steel sheet. They are pretty stout little tanks when finished.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
It's not that it's seriously thick but just the necessary thickness. The base sheet has nuts welded to the inside and there are four of them. I use a jig to hold all this together. I made some tanks with the bottom sheet in 16 gauge and the sides and tops in 18 gauge and experienced twisting of the tank and burn through on the base sheet around the nuts. 12 gauge is .1054" and 16 gauge is .0595". My tanks are all tig welded construction and they come out straight with a minimum of distortion. Try and weld a nut onto the middle of a piece of 18 gauge and see what happens. It warps. My material choices were decided on based on ease of manufacture and being distortion free. Could I use thinner material? Yes, but these things are hard enough to build as is and it just ruins my whole day after spending hours building a tank only to remove it from the welding jig to find it has a serious lengthwise twist in it. I would rather have a straight and distortion free heavy tank than a nice light weight twisted and distorted tank any day. Besides, it really is not that much of a difference. I never weighed one but they are not that heavy. You can email me anytime with questions on building these things. I am always happy to help.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Let me know how the mig welding works out. I have almost gone this direction but from experience have found tig welding to have fewer leaks. I can weld the whole thing out in 1 1/2 hours with the tig process.