Need advice on a bigger than usual engine

GoldenMotor.com

name is guy

Mar 17, 2009
chicago
OK ,i almost got all the stuff for my first DIY bike but im a little skeptical about how to do this seeing that it's big

engine: HSSK50 673945 (H)

Family: XTPXS1951BF

DIS: 195cc

engine rated at 5hp governed but that will change soon

It's from a snow blower so it's vertical shaft

It's very box like right now because of that tank and the carb box but that's no problem ,since it's from a snow blower it's got 2 options for belt drive ratio right off the shaft ,that's also kind of bulky but useful.

problem is mounting

don't ever want a friction drive

i don't know if i should be using a torch converter and if so that's more space

I want to keep it simple but not stupid

since iv never done a DIY motor peddle bike iv come to this conclusion

1. I still want the peddles so traditional center mounting is out of the question

2. torch converter ,i guess that would belong in number one but another topic

3. mounting over the back tire just belt driven

4. I like this one ,simply mounting it on the front handle bars of a 22'' BMX bike because they got these big nice bars ,i would just need to make a DIY over sized fork and have all the room in the world to peddle.

trimguy247

Oct 27, 2009
orlando
sweet my buddy mounted one like that on a mini dragbike and used a gocart auto trans it workes great over 60 and its got lil wheelie bars

marsrover

Mar 26, 2009
middle of nowhere
You should intend to run a bit thicker chain (40 / 41). And a ordanary centrificual clutch should do the trick. (Works on my go-kart) I would recomend that you use a tourque converter (if monney is not the problem). My 30 series tourque converter on my other go-kart works amazing (6HP). However with a tourque converter there are parts that wear out. rust . and snap off. (Maby thats just cuz mine was abused heavly before i got it)
With a regular centrificual clutch if it jams look for a rock in it If there is no rock then take it off the shaft and look inside. While its off check if the outer steel part (the one with the sprocket) wobbles back and forth. If it wobbles back and forth and up and down then throw the clutch in the trash and fork over $50 for a new one.

Here is a prediction of what happens if you put a big engine on. .duh.

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
You will need to consider the rear sprocket setup if you use that sort of drive. I would not recommend the sandwich type of sprocket mounting. The "torque-a-verters" work great!
JMO
Dave
KC