Gear ratios for HF bike -- please help!

GoldenMotor.com

cschade

Aug 8, 2014
United States
Sprocket choices depend on how much fabrication skill you have, and what soer of equipment you have to use.

You should do most of your reduction i the first stage. You are planning on using the bottom bracket bearings for a jackshaft, and they are not high speed items. I would really recommend replacing them with sealed ball bearings.

The 28T final sprocket limits you to a few choices, none of them easy bolt up stuff.

12/65 > 10/28 just makes it. A 65T #35 chain sprocket would have to be fitted to the jackshaft input, and a 10T sprocket on the output.

12/72 > 12/28 works too, but the 72T #35 sprocket is over 9" OD with a chain wrapped around it.

FFV8 -- thank you!! Do you think I'll be all right if I have 11/60 > 10/28 ?? Thank you again for all your help :)

EDIT: the pedal cranks on the bike I'm using are sealed bearings

Last edited:

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
11/60 works. That gives a 15.27 overall, which will climb hills better

Puts your 5k cruise at 25 mph - which is a good speed on a bike.

What sort of brakes are you planning?

cschade

Aug 8, 2014
United States
11/60 works. That gives a 15.27 overall, which will climb hills better

Puts your 5k cruise at 25 mph - which is a good speed on a bike.

What sort of brakes are you planning?
Great. I think once I get the build underway, I'll start a new thread with pics. As for brakes, uh.......... I have a set of regular side pull calipers that brought me to a stop at 34.4 mph on my previous friction drive build. However, I was given a running, commercially built mini dirt bike yesterday, which has key start, headlights, windshield, big gas tank, and full front and hub mounted disc brakes, among other goodies. So I am goin' to decide if I want to use parts from that to make this bike really awesome (electric start, etc.) or if I want to keep the two separate. Decisions, decisions. What do you suggest?

.bf.