NGK B5HS, B6HS, NGK Joe Schmo down the street?

GoldenMotor.com

Donavan321

Sep 27, 2012
Appleton, Wisconsin
Okay, so first off. I ordered a speed carb with the shutoff valve(red air filter...will be replaced by my chrome stack one. Now onto the plug...... I was wondering which NGK plug runs THE BEST, THE SMOOTHEST and the most reliably? I want to know between the NGK B5HS, B6HS which should I choose? A different NGK?

Donavan321

Sep 27, 2012
Appleton, Wisconsin
so the b5hs and the b6hs are pretty much the same? What's the difference..heat range? I will go on the hunt for these plugs tomorrow! Yes I do ride in the cold weather, it's still fun even in the cold! In the summer I'll have to readust the carb idle but that's no big deal at all.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
so the b5hs and the b6hs are pretty much the same? What's the difference..heat range? I will go on the hunt for these plugs tomorrow! Yes I do ride in the cold weather, it's still fun even in the cold! In the summer I'll have to readust the carb idle but that's no big deal at all.
Yes, heat range. A 6 dissipates heat faster than a 5.

Donavan321

Sep 27, 2012
Appleton, Wisconsin
Right, makes sense well, I'm pretty much an all season rider unless I'm buried to my ankles in snow, but if the roads are clear, bundle up and go for a nice spin. So if I got a 6 or 7(im assuming you're referring to ngk b6hs, b7hs) The 6 would be good for all conditions? Would I see more performance in the summer time or would I have to have a winter plug and a summer plug?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
on ngk's, the lower the number, the hotter the plug.

ideally, you want to run the hottest plug possible, without causing pre-detonation, meltdowns, etc.

in southern california, i ride B6's on my streetbike in the winter and B7's in the summer. usually. depending on how cold it gets, or how lazy i am.

on my modified race bikes, i run B8's, 'cause they're operating at hi temps all the time.

in your case, i'd get a B5 and a B6 and try them both for a few days. plugs are cheap. and you might not even be able to tell the difference.

Donavan321

Sep 27, 2012
Appleton, Wisconsin
I purchased a B5hs but I will get a hold of a B6HS so currently I have 3 plugs..... LD Z4C(stock plug seems to be the best of the 3) Champion J8C( ehh....) and The NGK B5HS. I will purchase a B6HS, I also have my speed carb coming too so hopefully I'll see some smoother results, it seems like the stock plug performs the best...I ran the champion j8c...max speed was 25....crap..... Stock plug- 30-33 mph in that range, B5HS- havent really gone full boar because it's slippery, but the motor seems a TAD bit...rougher running. I don't know... I run a 20:1 mix and my next load of gas will be mixed with my synthetic stuff. I think I'm seeing different results because that champion plug is a range 8...so pretty cold, I have no idea what the range is on the stock plug or the B5HS. Should I try something else? I have a pretty accurate speedo due to keeping up in traffic. I have #41 chain(not that that matters) 44T Sprocket, performance chrome stack air filter...stock NT carb. 66cc 2-stroke. Runs like a champ! but I've had other all stock 66 cc motors with no upgrades that acheived greater speeds, another factor is my bike is a tad bit heavier than normal bikes but still..and I only weigh 120. So I have the speed carb coming as mentioned but I noticed different performance from different plugs so that could be it too, If I can reach a top speed of even 35 I will call it GOOD! I'd like to keep the 44T sprocket because it's a balance of speed/climbing power. Currently the stock plug is in. Any other suggestions would be nice, I know I'm going to hear(without port matching or changing sprockets, blah blah you can't really get more out of it) I just want to know what I CAN get out of it even if it's 2-3 mph faster that's all I want. nothing HUGE I don't want to go rippin' down at 50 mph, that's not my style. So let me know thanks a bunch guys! Oh give me an insight on that speed carb too. Has a red air filter(will be putting my chrome stack performance filter on, fuel shut off incorporated into the carb etc. Thanks!!!

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
in Saint Louis,mo. gets real cold we get snow in the winter in the summertime it can't touch 100 degrees .so I am for your pretty good range of iridum plugs . Lower the number hotter the plug true fact. here's another way to look at the plug he range . running number 5 for 50 degrees ,run number 6 for 60 degrees ,running number 7 for 7 degrees .got the concept match the number to the climate and you'll be just fine.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
20:1 is too much oil. I break in on 32:1 and run 40:1 after three tanks. Been doing this for over 40 years without problems.