LoJack for Bicycles

GoldenMotor.com

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
I was checking around and I saw this LoJack. You can track it yourself via internet connection or smart phone. It is called The Spy Bike tracker and it looks like it would work. The cost is about $153.58 + shipping, about the cost of a 2 stroke kit. It says that the tracking service is free, but users do have to equip the unit with a pay-as-you-go SIM card and will be charged for the data used in uploading coordinates. The unit uses GPRS to upload data, not SMS, and Integrated Trackers says it costs a fraction of a penny to send each update (in the U.K.).

It says that the device will stop operating if your bike is taken inside or anywhere there isn't a clear view of the sky. The company says GSM is only accurate to about 650 feet, which could prove all but useless in a building-dense environment like the center of a city. In fact, even GPS's claimed 16 to 82 feet accuracy won't necessarily bring you right to the thief's doorstep. But you might be able to hear a motorized bike at that distance. I would say that the chances are you will recover your bike if the thief doesn't find it. They make one that looks like a rear light or you can put it inside the handlebars. Anyone have one? I would like to know what you think??

Check this link for description and video demo---> http://www.gizmag.com/spybike-gps-tracker/22999/

You can purchase here--> http://www.integratedtrackers.com/GPSTrack/Products.jsp

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
I've thought about it... I am trying to find insurance against theft and damage. It has proven elusive because of its demi-bike status.

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Thanks for responding to my post! I'm cosidering it too. If you do decide to get it please come back and tell me if it really works, if you are happy with it or not. I'm still very interested.

BikeBerryJen

Engine Diva
Oct 25, 2012
SoCal
A LoJack (or something similar) is a FANTASTIC idea to get for a motorized bicycle. From the perspective of someone who talks to people on a daily basis about ordering such, I've received more than 5 handfuls of people who have had their bicycles stolen. Unfortunately, most of the engine kits out there have no serial number and neither do most bikes which makes it hard to identify. My advice would be to keep a copy of all of your paper work, keep current pics of your bicycle and also invest in an anti theft device for your bike. It sucks hardcore to lose something you've built. I would also recommend etching a serial number on a discreet location (such as on the part of the seat tube that rides inside of your frame) for easier identification.

If anyone purchases a LoJack system, please let me know how it works out!

daxtitg

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
yeah, I lost my first bike to a thief, So my second bike, I happened to have a tiny cell phone (HTC Wildfire S), so I found a way to "mount" it secretly, not nearly as discrete as those, but it slips right under the seat, so well in fact it actually "snaps" into place, and I can track it using google, a friend's phone, or my primary phone. Plus it has full speed 4G speeds, so it updates live, GPS accurate to within 6 feet, enough that I can tell what room in the house it's in.

however having to pay monthly for it and recharging every couple days (thank god the wildfire is great with battery life) is counter-productive (example: what if it gets stolen within the couple hours it takes to recharge? what if the potential thief spots me removing or inserting the phone?). I could attempt to build a battery charger that runs off the motor, but If this thing is free to use, then it's a very, VERY attractive product.

Last edited:

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
yeah, I lost my first bike to a thief, So my second bike, I happened to have a tiny cell phone (HTC Wildfire S), so I found a way to "mount" it secretly, not nearly as discrete as those, but it slips right under the seat, so well in fact it actually "snaps" into place, and I can track it using google, a friend's phone, or my primary phone. Plus it has full speed 4G speeds, so it updates live, GPS accurate to within 6 feet, enough that I can tell what room in the house it's in.

however having to pay monthly for it and recharging every couple days (thank god the wildfire is great with battery life) is counter-productive (example: what if it gets stolen within the couple hours it takes to recharge? what if the potential thief spots me removing or inserting the phone?). I could attempt to build a battery charger that runs off the motor, but If this thing is free to use, then it's a very, VERY attractive product.
I agree with you, it totally sucks to get your bike stolen and motorized bicycles are a huge target for thieves. It would be a great idea if this website made a spot for those who have gotten their bikes stolen to post pictures of their stolen bikes so more eyes can be on the look out. If only one person gets his bike back, it would be worth it.

What you did is an awesome idea to try to track your bike if it ever gets stolen, although your points of difficulty are well taken. I give you credit for trying to do something to protect yourself.

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
The original plan was to cut the downtube, which was wide enough to throw a de-shelled wildfire into, but then I thought "well, it'd be hidden, and permanently in there, how will I charge it?" So I started looking for other key places to hide it. Turns out it fit under the seat, just above where the tube attaches to it (so if you dont tighten that thing down real good, you're gunna lose a phone haha), and the bars that the tube clamp rides on hold it in place, and the sides of the seat itself "snap" it firmly into place. It was more luck than anything. leaves enough room for a charging cable to attach to it in that spot, which is why I want to make a charger to run off the motor, then I'll never need to charge it again, because if it gets stolen, it runs for 2 whole days before dying, if they ride it at all with the motor, 2 days from when they stop. Mind you they usually end up at some kind of bike chop shop, where it will inevitably be discovered, however google lets you know where and how long the phone was in any location, with history up to a few months back (though obviously I wouldnt need that far) and, again, get a bike thief and/or chop shop off the streets for a little while.

saul

Nov 6, 2012
N.Ireland
that is a cracker of a way of finding your bike again. the lojack thing sounds fantastic too, but what now puts me off is 1. the initial cost. its the price of another kit again on top of me having to buy another kit, so that's 1 kit for the price of 2. and 2. its accuracy, 650 feet!?!?!?!?! the words needle and haystack come to mind. the old saying "prevention is better than a cure" comes to mind. although we will never be able to stop the scum doing what they do, but we can sure as **** make it as hard for them as possible. I'm with out a doubt gonna invest in a bigger chain and padlock and a lock with an alarm. maybe even two rottweilers on the end of the big chain. and I'll feed em only raw meat. lets see them try to go after my bike then.