Sidecar

GoldenMotor.com

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Not finished but operational and good enough for pictures.

Bike can lean seperate from sidecar for cornering.
Has a locking trunk , horn, spring seat and a brake.
It has a quick connect / disconnect setup.

Attachments

Reactions: indian22

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA

Attachments

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks for the build link; explains a good bit. Nice work. Who gets to ride in it? What kind of load do you think it can handle? How is the steering on it? Is it hard to get used to?
SB

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Thanks for the build link; explains a good bit. Nice work. Who gets to ride in it? What kind of load do you think it can handle? How is the steering on it? Is it hard to get used to?
SB
I know it can support my weight 167lbs. A neighbor pedaled me around the neighbor hood, as I have the gas tank off.

When I did a earlier test run of the rolling chassis under power with a 60 lb load it handled very well(much to my supprise). I will do a lot of testing under a full load before I put a passenger in it.

I will also experiment with the toe-in / toe-out in the spring.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Took it out for a good run for the first time as a completed unit. I was very pleased overall. The side car brake worked out well. It handled better in left turns than in right turns. The bike leans seperate from the sidecar.
In a right turn the my leg would get squeezed between the bike and the sidecar.
So I will have to extend the mounts to give more space.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: indian22

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Russell,
That's kind of wild because I was going to PM you yesterday to see if you had had a chance to give it a run.

Glad it worked out so well other than the leg pinch. I hope that's an easy fix.

The left turns are great but the right turns are hard because you are turning into the side car that doesn't want to move and acts more like a pivot but don't we look cool as ice cream?

Steve.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Gosh that looks very nice!

Did you mention your gearing and how you fared on the power available?

I never operated a hack that leaned. All were rigidly fixed. It was necessary to adjust the trail of the front forks, to a lesser amount, so the steering was proper.

Be cautious!
...just like all those dually pickup trucks with the ker-chunked rear fenders, you must pay special attention to the wider turning path and clearance you shall now require! :)

Best
rc

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I changed from a 44T to a 50T sprocket due to having a 48cc engine. It seems just fine with the unloaded sidecar. Without the sidecar it now climbs hills much better! I don't run wide open so I won't miss loosing some top end.

I had an electric rigid sidecar and was very unhappy with the handeling. This one is worlds better. Yes I try to stay consious of where the sidecar wheel at all times, to the point of distraction. Should have put it on the left side, then all I would have to worry about is the bike and the hack would take care of itself.

Gosh that looks very nice!

Did you mention your gearing and how you fared on the power available?

I never operated a hack that leaned. All were rigidly fixed. It was necessary to adjust the trail of the front forks, to a lesser amount, so the steering was proper.

Be cautious!
...just like all those dually pickup trucks with the ker-chunked rear fenders, you must pay special attention to the wider turning path and clearance you shall now require! :)

Best
rc

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
although the sidecar seems to handle well, if I ever make another one I might make a few changes.

I would drop the sidecar about 6 inches. The axle & bottom of the car is now 11".

The other thing I would do is change the (bike) attachment points. I would raise the forward attachment point higher than the rear. When the bike leans into a turn this would force the front to turn more than the rear. The result would be less scrub effect on the sidecar wheel when turning.

Attachments