Need a way to extend my muffler

GoldenMotor.com

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
I just recently finished my 66cc bike. All is well except for one thing; Because I had to do a mod to fix the front mount, the muffler gets in the way no matter what direction I bend it in.

So the genius in my thought "Why not cut the pipe and extend it with another piece of pipe". Easy, right? Well I don't have a lot of fancy tools and I don't have too much experience, so bending another piece of pipe(without it crimping too much) and getting it to fit on the two pieces of the muffler pipe has been... challenging. Actually, it hasn't really worked at all. Just a pain. In the meantime my engine seems to work just fine without the muffler, but it's incredibly loud and supposedly this can damage the engine over time?

I'll make my question simple: Is there any better way for me to extend my muffler so that it doesn't get in the way? Better yet, is there some kind of rubber tubing I can get that will withstand the heat of the exhaust?

EDIT: I only need it to be extended about 3 or 4 inches.

Last edited:

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Some have used high temperature silicone hose to extend their pipes.
Others have used the flexible metal hose that is used to connect up gas stoves.

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
Well since I'm impatient, I decided to use a copper connector piece from the hardware store and connected it to the two parts of the muffler pipe using bolts. I thought I might lose some power because of obstructed airflow, but so far it doesn't seem like I've lost any noticeable performance.

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
My exhaust system is the stock metal pipe that I cut the muffler off of. Then I used heater hose to run all the way back out the back of my bike with a little muffler. Still loud, but muffles the sharp 2-stroke crack, and riding it's not bad because it exits the back of the bike.

I've been using the heater hose for a few years on my bike now, it's lived through two different engines and never had a problem. It hasn't melted or anything. A bit pricey, but it's easy!!

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
There ya go, heater hose is awesome stuff, it's relatively gas resistant and high temp. And you're dealing with hose clamps, not welding, so it's very simple to move and reposition.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
"Converter Hose" is some cheap high temp gas resistant hose I think it used to be used on old catalytic converters. I found some at NAPA fairly cheap, but it is some old school stuff so may have a hard time finding it, and if you get one of those clueless young parts guys he may look at you like you are crazy, but I have found it more than once. It worked well for me.