key? anyone? please let me know

GoldenMotor.com

jf30cp

Jun 23, 2008
hello everyone! just had a thought, has anyone ever hooked up or tried to hook up a key for the bike.. it would be cool if it had a key that would only start when you turned it on. I know that if some jerk wants you bike bad enough he will get it no matter what....but just thought i would ask.
thanks, Jeff Bend, Oregon(^)

jf30cp

Jun 23, 2008
ya i think it would work if i got a key switch at the auto parts store and just cut a wire and hook it up inline that way. what wire should i cut and put the key in ?
jeff

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I wonder if you could put it inline with the kill switch wire. Operation would kind of be reversed, but seems like it should be functional.

Edit: Ok that probably won't work. I guess you would pigtail off the two wires on the motor for the kill switch. The key would basically be like a 2nd kill switch. Turn it one way and the contacts are connected and the motor would be killed / hopefully not start. The other way, they wouldn't be connected and you could start the motor. Maybe someone more experienced than me (someone that actually has a motor) can chime in....

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have an on/off toggle switch it wouldn't be any problem to replace it with a key. The toggle is hidden so the guy is going to need a little time to find it. But also like you said if he wants it bad enough it will be in the back of a pickup truck anyway.

RONNY_ODELL

May 27, 2008
Arab Al. (close to Huntsville Al.
KOOL IDEA ... i have a few on off switches off tanning beds ... can be used jus like a kill switch .... these onlt have 2 wires so it wouldnt be a problem wiring them up ,,,, jus finding a good looking place will be the big deal there

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA
In order to make all that hard work actually effective, the wiring needs to be protected....stranded on the road with no spark, I used by bare hands and teeth to expose the necessary wiring and strip insulation to bypass the kill switch....so if you want it theft-deterrant, you need to put the wiring into metal conduit, the flexible type, with decent terminations so that it can't be pulled free and exposed..

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I use a carrying bag with a chain and padlock so i can lock the bike to a light pole or some kind of sign where it would take some work to steal the bike cause a keyed ignition isn't going to stop a thief from picking up the bike and carrying it off.
Norman

Joshua

Jun 8, 2008
usa
If a guy wanted to take the time you could run your wires in your frame and drill a hole big enough for the switch to fit, and there you have it a functioning key. wouldn't you just need to hook it inline with your positive wire.