Can i motorize this bike

GoldenMotor.com

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
Can you?
yes, anything can be motorized if you believe in yourself.

Should you?
I would be hesitant to ride on a thirty five pound, aluminum frame bicycle that had been motorized unless it's top speed was less than 20MPH

looking at that bike, with those tires and the gear on it, if it only weights thirty five pounds like that you are looking at a very light frame. I would not rely on such a light frame with a motor on it, the tubing it likely much to thinly walled to handle the vibrations.

maybe as a friction drive or E-bike, but an in-frame motor on this bike may be a recipie for pain.
at this price though you can probably find a nice and solid steel-framed bike on craigslist.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I have motorized all kinds. This one looks as if it could be pretty easy, as the frame "V" looks a lot easier to mount the engine than a lot of newer bikes.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
My first bike I built is a aluminum frame o.p. cruiser that I still have, its a 2010 model and shows no signs of problems. It has had a 48cc engine from the start which has little to no vibration. Hey good to see you on the forum Joe.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I really don't see any issues with motorizing that... just check all the welds at the bottom bracket, head tube, and rear triangle and if anything looks shady don't do it, otherwise it should hold up ok as long as you're not going down bumpy roads at 40+ mph... In other words, there shouldn't be any problems with it under Normal cruiser bicycle type use. I only know because I cracked my mountainbike's frame but was going over 40mph with it a lot. Got a much stronger frame on order as we speak.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Hello Zerk, the bike looks nice but I noticed the way the rear rack is mounted. It appears to be screwed into the frame. If you can inspect it in person, and if that is the case I would advise you to stay away. That part of the frame looks pretty thin to begin with and if there is holes in it... that is a very bad combination from a safety perspective.

just my opinion

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Hello Zerk, the bike looks nice but I noticed the way the rear rack is mounted. It appears to be screwed into the frame. If you can inspect it in person, and if that is the case I would advise you to stay away. That part of the frame looks pretty thin to begin with and if there is holes in it... that is a very bad combination from a safety perspective.

just my opinion
Fully Agreed

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
That's a cool looking bike I haven't seen before. It should make a nice motorbike but like others say, It might fall apart on you in no time. You gotta watch out for those potholes

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I don't trust motors on aluminum frames. Too lightweight. I know steel is heavier, but takes a beating a little better. remember, yer gonna try to do at least 40mph on this thing.
fatdaddy.usflg