The "Red Hornet" a slightly different twist!

GoldenMotor.com

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
I am a newbie who joined the forum just before hurricane Irene hit my area, so I was unable to properly introduce myself. My first build was a Murray with a Grubee 66cc 2-stroker. The setup was fine and I had a lot of fun with it, but got tired of my left foot being spotted with oil from the exhaust so I swapped the Chinagirl for a 4-stroker with Stage III gearbox. I couldn't stop the bike with only a coaster brake so I added a front disc brake. The curiser forks flexed under braking.....................................you get the idea, the bike has been a work in progress ever since. It has evolved into a hybrid Pee Wee Herman and Fred Sanford special (because I used a lot of junk in my garage). Please let me know if you want detailed specs on the build or check out my photos at:

Pictures by scootmeister - Photobucket

Let me know what you think and thanks for looking.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I like it! This is a very cool organelle bike. The spring seat looks like it works great. I like the chain guard too. Very interesting bike. Great work! Thumbs up!!!!!(^)

Pee We Herman wishes his bike was this Kewl....

I think you've done a fine job. The bike looks good. Red is my favorite color. It does remind me of the peewee herman bike. Its a head turner for sure!

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
Thanks, guys. The bike is sort of a hybrid between a vintage look with some updates like the disc brakes. I didn't really design it, I just started bolting spare parts together and it took on a life of its own. The hardest part when you are customizing is getting measurements right, a lot of trial and error, mostly error on some things. The seat is great, big, cushy, no fanny fatigue on this puppy. It's fun rolling down the highway, the springer front and the springer seat swaying with the bumps and potholes. No bone jarring thumps like you get on a hardtail. Anyway, you guys are special in my book if you know who Pee Wee Herman is. I watched his show as a kid and always admired his Roadmaster bike (that was long before that little incident in the cat house)!!!!! Thanks for the feedback.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
SCOOT

Great job of all of them. Was thinking there is maybe more than one bike as a lot of the little details look to be changed. That is a neat build with the chain saw power head. At first the gear ratios did not look useable until I seen the multi speed rear hub.

Glad you shared with us. It looks like you went the extra mile with the details and added supports.

Ron

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
Hey Ron, thanks for the comments. Yeh, it's definitely a work in progress. The first version had a 2-stroke Chinagirl, the 2nd had a 4-stroke Hueng she with Stage III gearbox, then I went to the Homelite. The strange looking gear combination is because there is no gear reduction coming from the Homelite. The centrifugal clutch with 11 teeth drives a primary gear with 44 teeth. The primary drives a secondary with 11 teeth and a final drive with 44 teeth. This gives a final ratio of 16:1 going into the 3-speed hub. Normally, I'd be looking at a 19:1 ratio but the Homelite has more HP than Chinese motors, and low gear on the Nexus provides plenty of power on takeoff. This bike is a hoot to ride, almost as much fun as my Whizzer.

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
Hello HappyCheapskate. Thanks for the feedback. Yeh, the large gear is actually a freewheel that allows the pedals to stay stationary while the engine drives the 44-tooth primary drive gear. If you look at the early Harleys, they had the same thing but the large gear was behind the engine output gear instead of below it. I didn't want to relocate the pedals because I'm a lousy welder. Anyway, I'm glad you like it.