Poll: Favorite carb?

GoldenMotor.com

Favorite carb for 2 stroke engine

• Total voters

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i like the stock NT's. but there's a few different ones.

the NT's that come with the fuel shut off are my faves. they're identical to the NT "Speed" carb, but they don't say "Speed" on them, they have a square black airbox instead of that ugly pink one, and for some reason they work better on my bikes.

that being said, i take the fuel shut off's apart, drill the banjo inlet all the way through, make a block-off plate where the lever used to be, and index the banjo bolt with the inlet. the fuel shut off's always end up leaking.

the older NT's with no fuel shut off are great maintenance free carbs, but they're smaller.

i've got a Mikuni 16mm on one of my bikes, and it's an awesome carb that works perfect on the bike, but for simplicity, you can't beat the NT.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Mikuni's and Walbro's are my 2-stroke carbs of choice. Zama's aren't too bad for a Chinese carb......I prefer Chinese food tho :D

Keihin's are right up there as well....Honda likes em' ;)

dnut

Last edited:

socialdistortionkid

May 14, 2011
Orange County, CA
Thanks for all the comments. I just purchased a Grubee GT5 kit with the CNS V2 carb and i think im just going to replace it with the NT because i hear the one that comes with this kit is a piece of crap

scooter325

Jan 27, 2011
st.petersburg fl.
hey scotto,where can i purchase a mikuni carb for my 2 stroke GT5 rat motor and what model should i ask for? I ran dual mikunis on my trumpet bonny and never had a problem with them.now that fla. took my liscence i guess i never will.Scooter325

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
hey scotto,where can i purchase a mikuni carb for my 2 stroke GT5 rat motor and what model should i ask for? I ran dual mikunis on my trumpet bonny and never had a problem with them.now that fla. took my liscence i guess i never will.Scooter325
I just order them from my local motorcycle supply shop. Wouldn't know which model to order as I don't own a GT5......sorry.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
There is something about the NT's. I have a warm place in my heart for them. They are SOOO simple, and not fussy like some other carbs. They are cheap, easy to tune, and pretty dang reliable. I'm a big fan of the NT's baby :D

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I like both the HT's & the RT's... both almost always need to be re-jetted one size smaller though.
The RT's are extremely smooth & crisp while cruising at mid throttle!

I can never get those CNS & 'speed' carbs to work right. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
I got a grubee skyhawk with the v2 hi performance carb.I have come to the conclusion that it was created by the devil.I'm getting one of those cheapo carbs!

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
It will, and it's an excellent carb! My only complaint is it is tricky to seat the gaskets again if you need to change the jet. It's still worth getting. It's a torque monster!

droc089

Jun 25, 2011
ohio
Thank ya. That's what I need, I have a lot of hills to go up where I live and a little extra power will be fun to play with too.