Who makes a good 36 tooth ragjoint sprocket?

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'm looking for a replacement for my BGF 36 tooth rear sprocket. The BGF is very, very soft and wore out in less than three weeks.
I'd like to find a better quality replacement rather than wasting another $25 bucks with shipping from BGF again.
Who makes a good 9 hole mount 36 tooth sprocket?

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I'm looking for a replacement for my BGF 36 tooth rear sprocket. The BGF is very, very soft and wore out in less than three weeks.
I'd like to find a better quality replacement rather than wasting another $25 bucks with shipping from BGF again.
Who makes a good 9 hole mount 36 tooth sprocket?
If you want a steel one dax has one for about $20 if you want a high quality alloy sprocket that will bolt right on using the rag joint set up check out kings sales and service, I have a 34T I got from them a couple years ago on one of my bikes and it has held up great, still looks almost new running KMC 415H chain on it and only use a teflon dry chain lube, no oil on any of my chains ever either chain wax or dry lube is all I use and my chains and sprocket hold up great even in the very nasty condition they are always in because I ride just over 3 miles of dusty dirt road before my bike ever see clean pavement.
The kings sprocket will set you back around $40 best I remember but they are dang well worth it in my opinion.

Map

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
If you want a steel one dax has one for about $20 if you want a high quality alloy sprocket that will bolt right on using the rag joint set up check out kings sales and service, I have a 34T I got from them a couple years ago on one of my bikes and it has held up great, still looks almost new running KMC 415H chain on it and only use a teflon dry chain lube, no oil on any of my chains ever either chain wax or dry lube is all I use and my chains and sprocket hold up great even in the very nasty condition they are always in because I ride just over 3 miles of dusty dirt road before my bike ever see clean pavement.
The kings sprocket will set you back around $40 best I remember but they are dang well worth it in my opinion.

Map
Thanks for the info! Still not sure about paying $40 for a sprocket...I'm scrounging now for one from a scooter or pocketbike I can re-drill to suit.
It just bites my cookie to pay almost half the cost of an entire kit for a single sprocket.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Thanks for the info! Still not sure about paying $40 for a sprocket...I'm scrounging now for one from a scooter or pocketbike I can re-drill to suit.
It just bites my cookie to pay almost half the cost of an entire kit for a single sprocket.
My huffy bike has a sprocket just like this that I took off of a little 16" kids bike, I just used a 44T kit sprocket as a template centered it well clamped the two sprockets together and drilled out the holes, almost 1000 miles on it and still looks almost as good as it did when I put in on the bike.

$12.99 right to your door, I have bought from this vendor with great results, got a 30T sprocket from them about a month ago that I drilled and will likely use on a 24" wheel or maybe even a 26" if the engine I build up has the grunt to pull it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lowrider-Sp...251269189543?pt=US_Brakes&hash=item3a80cf8fa7

Last edited:

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
My huffy bike has a sprocket just like this that I took off of a little 16" kids bike, I just used a 44T kit sprocket as a template centered it well clamped the two sprockets together and drilled out the holes, almost 1000 miles on it and still looks almost as good as it did when I put in on the bike.

$12.99 right to your door, I have bought from this vendor with great results, got a 30T sprocket from them about a month ago that I drilled and will likely use on a 24" wheel or maybe even a 26" if the engine I build up has the grunt to pull it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lowrider-Sp...251269189543?pt=US_Brakes&hash=item3a80cf8fa7

Now that's more like it! You say it's holding up well even though it's bicycle chain thin?
Thanks for the link!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Now that's more like it! You say it's holding up well even though it's bicycle chain thin?
Thanks for the link!
The 36T I have that came off the kids bike has held up really good for 950+miles, I ride in really dusty conditions and don't oil my chains, I use Spray "dry" Teflon chain lube and Maxima Chain wax lube and all my KMC415H chains and sprockets have held up very good, the sprocket I have was off a really el-cheapo wally world kids bike so I would think that surely it couldn't be any better quality than the ones these bike parts supplier sell....LOL!

for the money I'd say it worth a shot and if it last a 2-3 thousand miles I'd say it was plenty good enough....

Map
reddd

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The 36T I have that came off the kids bike has held up really good for 950+miles, I ride in really dusty conditions and don't oil my chains, I use Spray "dry" Teflon chain lube and Maxima Chain wax lube and all my KMC415H chains and sprockets have held up very good, the sprocket I have was off a really el-cheapo wally world kids bike so I would think that surely it couldn't be any better quality than the ones these bike parts supplier sell....LOL!

for the money I'd say it worth a shot and if it last a 2-3 thousand miles I'd say it was plenty good enough....

Map
reddd

Fre stuff I like. I have a couple old bmx bikes laying outside and can't believe I didn't think of this myself. *Facepalm*
Thanks again for the tip.
Just goes to show, even old experienced farts like me don't have all the answers.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Fre stuff I like. I have a couple old bmx bikes laying outside and can't believe I didn't think of this myself. *Facepalm*
Thanks again for the tip.
Just goes to show, even old experienced farts like me don't have all the answers.
Lol......!

Yeah it was kinda funny when I happened to look at that little bike that day sitting in with several other bikes out behind the shed, first thing I noticed was that it was a solid sprocket that didnt have all the holes or cutouts in it, then I counted tbhe teeth and bingo..... 36T just what ai was wanting, I was thinking it might not last very long but figured at least I'd know how that bike would act with the smaller sprocket, but it's still going and has held up good so far, if I rode it everyday I may have had to replace it by now becaise it would have many thousand miles on it but with almost 1000 and still looking good I'd say im getting good service from it.

Map
reddd

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'm all about cheap which is why I went with BGF (I knew better), but not at the cost of replacing the damn thing every month!
Parts bikes now, THOSE I got!