Paint Disaster, Any Clues?

GoldenMotor.com

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
The funny thing is I just had this same thing happen at work a day ago due to the solvent not being totally flashed off (cold temp wasn't part of it though). I will try to remember to take a picture tomorrow of it. For me it wasn't such a pain to take care of, since all I had to do was grab another shell to paint in the place of the two that I had it happen to.

If I were you I would just let it bake for a day, then paint it later the next warm day.

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
I HATE filler primer. Refuse to use it anymore. I don't care how long I let it dry it always starts cracking after a couple coats. I like spot putty (the pro stuff that uses a catalyst hardener). One coat primer, sand, see where the imperfections are then spot putty, sand, "rinse and repeat" till I'm happy with it then color coat.

A nice trick with rattle can paint in colder weather is to let the can sit in a pot or plastic container (the closer to the top of the can the better) with some hot water from the faucet running on it till the paint heats up.

Or paint something small enough to fit in the oven and bake it at 100-150 degrees till it's dry. (make sure the ol' lady is out shopping or something while you do it).

Running hot water on the can is also a good trick for keeping the orange peel effect to a minimum with color coats too, even in warm weather.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I HATE filler primer. Refuse to use it anymore. I don't care how long I let it dry it always starts cracking after a couple coats. I like spot putty (the pro stuff that uses a catalyst hardener). One coat primer, sand, see where the imperfections are then spot putty, sand, "rinse and repeat" till I'm happy with it then color coat.

A nice trick with rattle can paint in colder weather is to let the can sit in a pot or plastic container (the closer to the top of the can the better) with some hot water from the faucet running on it till the paint heats up.

Or paint something small enough to fit in the oven and bake it at 100-150 degrees till it's dry. (make sure the ol' lady is out shopping or something while you do it).

Running hot water on the can is also a good trick for keeping the orange peel effect to a minimum with color coats too, even in warm weather.
Max,
I agree with warming the can but caution needs to be applied. I worked in the aerosol industry for fifteen years. The charged cans were run through a 125 degree hot water bath prior to packaging. I saw many many cans explode either in the water bath or after they had been packaged. The can seams and the crimp where the valve is attached to the tops of the cans were the most common areas to fail.
I have a very good friend who lost an eye when a can exploded and hit him in the face after it came out of the hot water.

Never, never exceed 90 degrees if you warm the can under hot water. Please!

Tom

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'll take your word for it. Gonna put my cans in the shade when it hits 100 degrees here this summer.

I too have seen an aerosol can blow up. I worked in a restaurant and one of the chefs had a can of Pam slip from his fingers and fly behind the stove where the gas burners are full on all day (very hot back there). The can was probably warm to begin with and in just the short time it took him to reach behind the stove to get it, the can blew up. Really messed up his fingers.

Lets not scare everyone away though. For a cold can of paint to warm to 90 degrees under running hot water it would take quite a while. But your advise is well heeded.

And you showed restraint in your warning. Unlike my rant and rave I did to poor CSTMBLDER about his glass gas tank!

Last edited: