Building a wheel

GoldenMotor.com

sisdavid

Mar 31, 2008
Daytona Beach
I bought a coaster break hub off of e-bay about a year ago for about $20 because it was really heavy duty looking made in Germony and has a oiler hole and weighs about 2 lbs, and was going to make a wheel for my motorized bike with it. I took it apart cleaned it up and then greesed it up and put it back together. When I went to build my wheel I realized that the hub was about a fraction of an inch larger than a regular hub, so the spokes would be smaller in length,so I put off making the wheel. I found a old mountain bike that someone was throwing away, and it had these really big old school mountain bike wheels on it Araya, I am now thinking about just taking these mountain bike wheels apart and taking the wheel and hub to the shop and making a heavy duty wheel, any ideas on what kind of spokes to use and how much I will end up paying and that sort of thing? Any advice is helpfull. I will post pictures if anyone is interested. The hub and wheels are pretty cool the rim is straight. Am I just wasteing my time?

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
:rolleyes:Never tried it but I bet one could cut more threads on the spokes with a die, then shorten them to fit

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
A Bike shop can help with spoke length and sell you the spokes if yours are too long. A thread die is an option but is a shop tool not even all shops have, though only a little more than a hundred bucks I believe. Hozan makes a good one.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Getting a wheel that is already assembled is always cheaper. I have some great vinatage hubs at home in a wooden box in the attic because it costs too much to have them laced to a rim these days (on my budget).

sisdavid

Mar 31, 2008
Daytona Beach
Cool, what do the hubs look like? Can you post some pics my favorit hub is that two speed hub that you pedal backwards, and shift gears.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
My vintage MTB hubs are Suntour Pro MicroDrive. They are light XC hubs, 28 hole, and would not be well suited to a motorized bike. The rings and cogs are smaller (hence MicroDrive) and the hubs can be greased by a grease gun with a needle fitting (like the modern WTB grease guard).
You can see pics of kickback 2 speed coaster hubs most any week on Ebay. Below is their sporting goods link.
eBay ? Sporting Goods, Golf clubs and fitness items on eBay.com. Find IT on eBay.
A page should appear with several sporting goods categories.
Click on "Cycling" (takes a while; thousands of items)
Enter "Bendix" in the search window and you should see some kickbacks.
Kickback hubs were made by Bendix and Sachs (possibly others).
Cheers

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
Building Bicycle Wheels by Sheldon Brown
Bicycle Repair - Building Bicycle Wheels
Bicycle Repair Building Bicycle Wheels Wheelbuilding
These are the first 3 in google search for bicycle wheel building. The art of wheel building is not rocket science but does require some patience and the more you pay attention to the details the better and longer lasting the wheels you build will be. I like to ride on wheels I built because I know what to expect from a critical componet. I feel safer on my wheels than an unknown factory builder's.

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
Worksman industrial bicycle rear wheels are very rugged with .010 spokes and a rim with dimpled holes for the spokes like a motorcycle. It has a large brake sprocket. It sells for $66 With the ally hub and my #41 sprocket it weighed 11-1/2 lbs! KW

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
LennyHarp just a thought but if not much slack needs be removed your spoke tying trick could pike up the slack

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
Worksman industrial bicycle rear wheels are very rugged with .010 spokes and a rim with dimpled holes for the spokes like a motorcycle. It has a large brake sprocket. It sells for $66 With the ally hub and my #41 sprocket it weighed 11-1/2 lbs! KW
Can you buy just a wheel from Worksman? They make some good lookin' pieces. Happy Trails Walter F.