Vintage Style PVC Tank

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Been slowly putting together a nostalgic inspired bike that is really not replicating anything, but borrows heavily from the early days. I really admire the builders on the forum that make the fitted built up tanks. I have the skills and equipment but not near the patience. So Am building a tank in the style seen on some of the earlier bikes of the last century that were built from tubing. 3" PVC(actually 3.5"OD) seemed a natural. Its bonded with JB weld which I have used for years around gas, patching tanks etc. Has an .040 aluminum plate on one end an a top off an old coffee pot on the other. Wanting to make it look more realistic I added rivets. Had a bunch of aircraft rivets left from various past projects. Set up a drill bit with a model airplae wheel collar as a stop set at 1/8", thats half way through the PVC. Layed out my patterns, drilled the holes, and clipped the rivets to length. Put a dab of JB in the hole and drove em in. Gave a "metal" look to the tank. Going to run a fake copper vent tube from the filler neck to the aft end of the tank next. The tank will be mounted in a cradle with a leather strap to complete the look. So far excepting the fuel valve, I have less than tens bucks invested. Should paint and age out pretty well.

Attachments

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Awesomely awesome, I love those cylinder style tanks. Great work! Are you going to line the inside of the tank?

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks for the comments guys! I dont think sealing the tank will be necessary. PVC has been used a while now with good results, and Ive never had a problem with JB Weld and gas. I pressure tested the tank with no problem, and once primed will fill with fuel and let it sit.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Dont know for sure, guess I need to dust off my math skills and figure its capacity. Im guessing close to 3 quarts. Im basing that on a similar tank I made from 3" exhaust tube. It held nearly 3 quarts and was slightly shorter. I will carefully measure it when its filled.

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
Woa!!! PVC is GAS RESISTANT enough to make a tank out of it? Thought for shure it would melt... but if it DOES hold up, that's a whole 'nother realm of possibilities with these things...usflg

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks guys! PVC has been used on the forum for a while now, this is just my spin on it. Was looking for a way to avoid using the end caps. Of course this stuff works easily with wood tools, so the 45 degree cut on the end was easy to do with a mitre saw. The basic construction only took about an hour. The angled end cap took the most time having to be finished filed flush after the JBW set( about 30min). I added the fake vent tube in the same way basically as the rivets, except with #4 screws. The heads will be filled to look like rivets. The rear bracket is bonded totally to the end plate. The JBW has yet to be finished and will basically disappear. The bike/tank will be light gray with the finished aged. Since I cant get the PVC to rust, I plan on painting certain areas with brass spray paint then sanding through to make the tank appear made from a brass tube. Got some water slide decals, and a trick for the gas cap also.

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks SB! Its going on a frame that is an assemblege of different parts, which should favor an early road going bike. Very simple. No lights, fenders etc. Will be powered by an old Robin 5hp flat head. The engine will be "open", no shroud. Idler clutch. Will gear it so it will top around 20+(throttle limited Im sure) but will cruise at low engine rpms. An old putt putt type bike. I will post some pics soon of it in DIY.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Can't wait to see the pics, CB2 !

"vintage & PVC" really caught my eye... lol
and now jbweld is tossed into the pot.
amazing! i would have never thought to do such a combo.

Very creative things can be done with pvc in an oven...
Opens up a world of possibilities!
rc

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I dont know about jb weld and pvc, but I have used jb on plastic before and it was never a permanent bond. not trying to sound like a negative nelly, just hoping it holds up for you. if it does hold up, thats great. others on this forum have used pvc glue, was that too expensive? seems like pvc glue would guarantee permanence. great job though. i use an old yamaha 3 wheeler tank, plastic, holds two gallons. looks a little behemoth on a beach cruiser, but since I only paid 15 bucks for it and it gives my bike a range of around 200 miles when filled, i dont really care what it looks like.

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
PVC glue only works on self compression joints (read "endcap") which cannonball was trying to avoid. There is a way to create a tank out of connectors as well as endcaps, but you wind up with an absurdly thick-walled tank. What about endplugs?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I've had pretty good luck with JB Weld in other applications. I would think if the spots where it is used were well roughed up it should work pretty well. I guess we'll all find out, won't we?
SB