Rocky's Motorized Bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

1flyingfool

May 25, 2011
Yelm
Hello everyone,it's been awhile for me,been kinda out of it,but this week has been great. I broke out the bikes ,and right away found "something' to work on.
Took the carb apart on my Giant, and I went and bought a new set of drill bit,I couldn't afford,and made the holes in the jets bigger.I've run it once and was not impressed.need more time with it.but I did ride the Magnum. It needs carb work too,sooo

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
Hello everyone,it's been awhile for me,been kinda out of it,but this week has been great. I broke out the bikes ,and right away found "something' to work on.
Took the carb apart on my Giant, and I went and bought a new set of drill bit,I couldn't afford,and made the holes in the jets bigger.I've run it once and was not impressed.need more time with it.but I did ride the Magnum. It needs carb work too,sooo
Old gas maybe?

A user here cut his muffler in half. In the pictures of his bike it is not, but in the video it is. His bike sounds veerryy meaty and aaah I just love it and am tempted to do it myself. Would essentially removing the muffler portion of the exhaust do anything to performance?
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=35972

takeitez

Dec 19, 2011
Clayton Missouri
If anything it might reduce lower end and high end performance. E-chamber will get you preformance. Lots of noise gets you looked at and it isn't always the people you want looking at you (cops). Though I have to agree it does sound mighty fine. :)

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
So a little update on my bike. I regreased the clutch gearing area just to be sure it had plenty for the next hundred or so miles. Replaced the stock plug with an NGK plug. Put rear and front lights on it. I removed the chain tensioner and 2 links and the chain is holding very well. Hopefully stretches just a little bit more so I can move the rear wheel back a centimeter.. Filled up gas tank with 24:1, might be slightly more but close to it. She's good to go :) I am tempted to by new forks though and make it suspension.

The only real problem that it has right now is that the idle is obnoxiously high. I don't think it is an airleak because everything seems to be tightly done and I put an o-ring on as well. What I think the problem is, is that my throttle cable is not being let down all the way.. I suppose that means I need to take off the throttle or carb. It's hard to do down at the dorms \= but It's so annoying for how high it can be I typically turn it off if I come to a stop. If I put the choke on the idle goes to a very nice and low rpm. sounding as if it may die at times but still lives on. when the engine is warm

takeitez

Dec 19, 2011
Clayton Missouri
Well I know you don't want to hear this but you might want to check for an air leak. If the choke makes it nice then that means it is running better with very little air which really sounds like air is getting in somewhere else. Maybe do a smoke check.

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
Alright I'll give it a go. I just need to squirt some water in there right?
I hope it's not damaging anything. Since my spark plug is coal black and wet I don't think it would be but I'll check for that leak anyway.

Last edited:

takeitez

Dec 19, 2011
Clayton Missouri
I would just use some incense or just some rolled newspaper. Your right about the plug though doesn't sound right. Did you try messing with the throttle cable? I once had a throttle cable that I was testing out and it was pulled tight and I didn't know. I started her up and before I knew it I was just about in my neighbors garage :)

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
Well I do think it was my throttle actually.. Those times when it seemed to rev out of control I think was caused by the throttle being twisted into the brake lever. It broke today, which explains a lot of oddities towards the end of the day. The part where it screws in broke. Darn plastic junk. Technically was my fault though. So I'm getting the throttle from sbp. Should look nice :D

takeitez

Dec 19, 2011
Clayton Missouri
Mine broke just like yours. I also have the throttle from sbp it is all metal and works really well. The only complaint I have about it is that it is not capped off which is kinda a safety concern ohh wth I'm going 40 mph on a bike :)

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
I'm waiting to get thatsdax's carburetor and attach it to this throttle.

Although I am out of riding for the next few weeks. My freewheel sprocket broke today. The gasket thing in the middle peeled out and all the ball bearings fell out. Rather unfortunate.. Not sure what caused it really. Motor is running stronger than ever atleast :D