I need mud guards! (fenders)

GoldenMotor.com

Bicycle Motor Fun

Sep 17, 2011
Warren, Michigan
My 66cc engine motorized bicycle is a Huffy Stone Mountain 26" mens bike and my riding is around at my son's farm here in Michigan. The riding is great and the roads are all dirt, void of vehicle traffic and can be muddy at times. My last ride for this winters season was a few days ago and was such a day; the snow had melted and the temperature went to 54f with sun; I just had to ride! But when I returned after a 8 mile trip, my wife took a photo of me (see attached) and recommended that I had better get some mud guards (fenders) for that thing!

I am now begining my search; I think that they should be made from metal and look nice on this bike. Any help, please? BMF
drn2

Attachments

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
LOL, the dreaded mud stripe. Exactly why I've put fenders on every daily-ridden bike I've built/owned since the 1980's.

If you want metal fenders, Wald 962 are top notch. They come in black or chrome, with dovetail or not.
Bairdco has put up a how-to on reinforcing/rattleproofing metal fenders. Very handy stuff.

If you want an alternate route, Planet Bike makes nice polycarbonate fenders. I run a set of "Full ATB" on my bike. Great fenders, and quick-release.
Amazon.com: Planet Bike Full ATB Front and Rear Bicycle Fender Set (60mm Wide): Sports & Outdoors
Amazon.com: Planet Bike Hardcore Fender Set ATB (60mm,Black): Sports & Outdoors

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
LOL, I was thinking something about being run down by a cow with bowel problems but then I thought better of it :)

Another reason for fenders would be to keep what's on your jacket out of the air filter. As far as a front fender, they'll keep your glasses/goggles cleaner too. I've been test riding a new build and without a front fender. I get home and my front looks like your back. I think I'll put the front fender back on.
Good luck. Let us know what you do to correct the messy situation.
Tom

Bicycle Motor Fun

Sep 17, 2011
Warren, Michigan
Thanks to both of you guys for the fender info, links, etc. It is snowy and cold now here in Michigan; the perfect time to upgrade my mountain bike! I like the sound of those metal fenders, I think that is the way that I will go as I would be able to cut/bend them if necessary to clear the drive chain, etc. My Huffy Stone Mountain bike has the rear brake cable running on top of the cross bar making mounting the gas tank a bit of a problem. I just made two spacers out of wood, along with new mounting clamps that will elevate the gas tank over this cable. I will also make up a chain tensioner that you guys will envy! Now that I have finally figured out how to post photos, I will share my ideas and work with you as you have with me! Thanks again, BMF

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
The Top Peak plastic fenters look good on a mountain bike. The rear fender mounts to the seat tube, The front fender mounts to the crown of your suspension fork. They add a motocross look.