Who sells Skip Tooth Chain besides eBay?

GoldenMotor.com

LouieMCman

May 28, 2010
GA
Does any bike shops sell 1" skip tooth chain? I especially need master links and maybe a short piece of chain, thanks.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
no one. even if you get lucky and find one at a bike shop, it'd be NOS and they'd charge you more than ebay.

it's totally obsolete. probably hasn't been made since 1950.

i was on a mission to find a chain manufacturer that still made them, hoping that some other application called for it. sadly, i was told by Diamond Chain, one of the largest makers of bicycle chains from that era, that they were made for bicycles only, and they haven't made them in at least 50 years. funny thing, though, it's still listed in their catalogue.

if you do get one on ebay, i'd pay the money and get an NOS one, or at least try to find one in really good shape. every old, rusty one i've ever had has broken, usually multiple times. if you take care of a new one, it'll last another 80 years.

sorry i can't help you out with any links, i'm using all the chains i have.

good luck.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Louis,
I'll have to check mine to see if they have master links. I don't recall. One I just removed from a 51 Schwinn was in very nice condition and I have another I think is quite usable sitting in oil in a coffee can. I always thought I was pass them along on ebay, but never did, so I'd like to give them to you. Your kindness to me is coming back to you in the form of skip tooth chains. If you want them, PM me with your address.
SB

LouieMCman

May 28, 2010
GA
Why thank you Silver bear! I never thought about it but it sounds good to me I got your address and I'll send you mine.

LouieMCman

May 28, 2010
GA
Here's what the chain is for, my 1916 Miami Power Bicycle. I just fit a new (used old stock) piston and rings and a different cylinder, replaced some rear belt pulley bolts and then the chain broke. It's running great but couldn't start it after the chain broke. With the addition of the new chains and spares, I have enough spare parts to keep this thing running another 100 years! Thanks again Silverbear, you have a part of this bike now!

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Yeah,
I'll...a.. put that photo in my portfolio as one of the bikes I...a... helped kinda put tagether a lil' bit. Sort of. In a way... See that pedal chain there? Yeah...I don't like ta brag, but that wouldn't work without my chain. Umhuh. Yep.

Wow, so when did you pull this one off?

I mean, oh yeah, I kinda 'member when we was workin' on that bike. I believe it was probably me who suggested that cool rear wheel treatment. & that chain, too, don't ferget.

Another beautiful build, Louie. If you ever need my help on another one, let me know. A pedal or something. Another chain.
SB

Fossil

Mar 15, 2008
Guthriesville Pa
Dan, a skip tooth chain is a chain with a 1 inch pitch meaning 1 inch between each tooth. They were very common before WWII and some bike makers used them into the 50's.

Jim

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Very cool Jim, TY.

Carol says "hey" and that she is making Russian tea cakes for a ride next spring and you had better be there. Trying to talk her into baking her friendship bread. Takes 3 days to make but man! good stuff!

How lucky am I?

LouieMCman

May 28, 2010
GA
Silverbear, got the chains and ended up using the Diamond that you had soaking in oil. I wire wheeled the oil soaked rust off and worked every link until good a loose. I also had to add two links and use two master links to make it the right length. Lubed it up and installed, looks like it should work for a good while. Thanks again, did you get the spring?

http://motorbicycling.com/images/smilies/usflg.gif

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Louie,
Oh good, I'm glad its going to work for you. Yes, I meant to tell you the leaf spring came and I have been in consultation with Curtis fox about it. I think he's going to work on it for me over the winter using the front fork from the Monark sent to Steve in Canada. It looks to be a match to the Worksman front fork ,oddly enough. I'm guessing they need to be the same or at least very similar. And I'll be rebuilding a vintage seat for Curtis in recognition for his helping me. Not a trade really, just mutual help among friends. Pretty cool to pass things around this way and keep money out of the equation. I have a 42 Schwinn step through in excellent shape, garage kept, with a nice skip tooth that is probably going to become a trike at some point so will not use the skip tooth sprocket or chain. I also have a 39 Hiawatha with a skip tooth in less nice condition. Don't know what I'm going to do with that bike. If you get into trouble with your chain perhaps I can help you.
SB

reclaimer

Oct 8, 2009
pa
wow, clicked in here cus I had no clue what a skip tooth chain was, and was met with the sight of that beautiful old bike. awsome bike, thanks for the pic.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
this is a skiptooth chain. or technically, a "1 inch pitch" (or skiplink, or skip-a-link)

it's wider than a common 1/2" pitch chain, and notice how the links alternate from 1" to 1/2".

a standard 1/2" pitch chain will not work with skiptooth sprockets, due to the width and the smaller link is not quite 1/2".

Attachments

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
this is a skiptooth chain. or technically, a "1 inch pitch" (or skiplink, or skip-a-link)

it's wider than a common 1/2" pitch chain, and notice how the links alternate from 1" to 1/2".

a standard 1/2" pitch chain will not work with skiptooth sprockets, due to the width and the smaller link is not quite 1/2".
As I'm sure many people guessed, treasuring my anonymity as I do and being parranoid about giving my real name anywhere anytime, I chose "Allen Wrench" for an on-line alias. But I almost picked "Skip Tooth". There ya go, newbies. It's still up for grabs.

Last edited:

LouieMCman

May 28, 2010
GA
There are a lot of chains out there but the master links seem to be in big demand as they are the short link in the chain and unique.

Allen Wrench doesn't sound to bad or even Skip Tooth, I have an ad for a antique motorcycle seat thats claim to fame is that it is "Ball Bearing". It even mentions that it's good for male and female genitalia.... I'll see if I can dig it out if anyone wants to see it I can post it.........

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
There are a lot of chains out there but the master links seem to be in big demand as they are the short link in the chain and unique.

Allen Wrench doesn't sound to bad or even Skip Tooth, I have an ad for a antique motorcycle seat thats claim to fame is that it is "Ball Bearing". It even mentions that it's good for male and female genitalia.... I'll see if I can dig it out if anyone wants to see it I can post it.........
LOL! I had an image of a big old leather bike saddle with two round impressions up front. A "ball bearing" seat, oh lawd almighty!

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
That was my old tom cats name. He lost the name when the neighbours found the source of all the kittens in the area and it was a rather large area too. After that he was no longer a "ball bearing" tom cat.

Steve.

marathonmondays

Jan 30, 2011
Alexandria, VA
It is January 30, 2011 and I too now am looking for just a few links of 1 inch pitch chain for a skip tooth bicycle. Besides EBay is anyone else selling? The prices on EBay are insane! Thanks much. Josh