New Pedator 79cc..won't rev at all

GoldenMotor.com

Kenny'sID

Jul 7, 2016
FL
I installed this engine on my trike and is starts just fine but it won't rev up at all, and I'm baffled?

First thing I did was go to set the mixture and there seems to be nowhere to set it. I see pics online of these carbs with a mixture screw at the top, but mine has a welch plug where it should be.

Not saying I'm a pro but I've worked on these most of my life, even took an unnecessary course in small engines, so If I can get some ideas maybe I can fix it.

I should add I did try the choke in every position as I tried to rev it since sometimes that will act as a temporary fuel/air/ adjustment for trouble shooting and it made little to no difference so, can't necessarily say it's a mixture issue.

As I now understand it Harbor Freight won't allow shipping of anything that had a combustible fuel in it, so can't return it that way and this being my only transportation, I can't really go the 80 or so mile round trip to their store and back, so not sure what they will do about it. I did email them.

I'd be grateful for any ideas on what could cause this.

Kenny'sID

Jul 7, 2016
FL
Have you removed the governor?
No, no modifications as of yet.

Thinking it was new and had to be a factory defect, and all linkages appeared to be in place and working, I did pull the carb last night. After removing the float, I noticed the needle valve was still in place, so unless it's retainer somehow slipped off the tab on the float and I didn't notice, it appears it was under the tab and the valve was not being lifted.

I'm not good enough to get a pic in my mind of if that condition would allow just enough gas in to let it do what it was doing, but will test it later after getting possible verification that could be it or other advice. I wait because It's a real pain to get it outdoors/down the steps for a test.

thanks for the reply

Kenny'sID

Jul 7, 2016
FL
I backed it up to the door and tried it...no change so I'd guess I was wrong about the needle valve not lifting, it probably would not have even run if that were the case.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
So it's on a trike but what kind of gearbox is motor connected to? Get the back tires off the ground and see if you can't get it revving.

Kenny'sID

Jul 7, 2016
FL
Centrifugal clutch. It want rev even enough to engage the clutch..pretty much none at all

HF said I could box it up and ship it back and apparently at their expense, just as they should, so guess I'll just return it. It's a hybrid with 1000w front hub that tested fine, so I can actually use it but just don't feel comfortable doing what I need to do with it without the gas backup....not in this killer Fl heat.

I'm curious now though at what they could have done or not done during assembly to make this happen.

MTS221993

Jul 13, 2017
did you ever get this resolved I am having a similar issue with my 79cc mounted to a schwinn meridian

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I had a Chinese made generator give me trouble due to a carb issue. It was not getting enough fuel. I do not mean into the carb, but due to the float and valve it controls. I just got a new carb after market for 15 dollars shipped and it worked fine. The kind of gen, not inverter type, has to spin at a certain speed for frequency 60 Hz. It slowed down only with heavy load. It could have been crud in the fuel and or original mfr of the tank and carb. It came without a fuel filter. I put one in line with the new after market carb and it no longer slows down with high amp loads.

In your case may be similar, but since it is new it just may be right on to have them cover the return shipping and shipping again back to you. This simply as soon as you mess with it you may be just voided warranty.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I recommend mounting a HF engine to a work bench and running it before installing it on a bike, this will tell you if its a good engine. Its very frustrating to go through all the work to find out some things is wrong with the engine. That way you know its not something you did wrong, its easier to return too.

Reactions: Dan