3 puck clutch 4G... Raise RPM of engadgment?

GoldenMotor.com

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
K... I FINALLY have the gearing sorted on my Chief build, but now find the RPM of clutch endgadement too low. Geared lower, the thing could climb a tree with me on it :) but would float the valves at 15 mph. Now that it will hit 30+ take off from a stop is slow. Not as slow at the Twin build with the EZM trans but still; I'd like a better launch. I have the 4G trans with solid everythng ( sound on decell from speed is AWSOME ) with the 3 puck clutch for straght shaft HS motor. Any hints on rasing the RPM that the clutch engadges. Im thinking this would improve the takeoff situation. If no adjustment is possable is there a different clutch at would work with this setup withthe funky T belt pulley thingy??? Thanks in advance. Heres the build: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=47095

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I'm not sure how to raise the engagement other than to change the spring, that's what I did on my maxtorque clutch on my 98cc cruiser. Raised it from the stock 2400 rpm engagement to 3100, and takeoff is much smoother. Chattering and slipping was virtually eliminated. So at least you know that raising the engagement will definitely help some, sorry I can't offer more advice.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Thanks Guys. Now I just need a source for the fargin springs. Would be easy of it was a max torque. AGK has all kinds.

recumbentbill

Jul 5, 2009
millington tn
Replace the washers for each puck. I found that the stock washer/shims were way to thin and prone to break/distort and eventually cause a puck or pucks to engage early and not all three at the same time.My fix came from lowes 8mm washer lot#HO2098716. These washers fit perfectly and add more thickness than the stock shims and do not tear up like the stock shims . Being thicker they also raise the rpm engagement.If a higher rpm engagement is needed add the stock shimms after the 8mm washer

Last edited: