Yep... Another Felt Build!

GoldenMotor.com

GoldenSprocket

May 15, 2012
Southern California
Hello everyone!

I'm in the process of building up a Felt kit bike (Felt calls it the "Canvas")

I am trying to keep it simple...but my retentiveness keeps getting the better of me!

I should have started posting earlier. The bike is now a full "roller", no motor, just a bike, no motor yet. I will try to post the pictures in sequence tho.

I am having trouble resizing the pics (is this a Mac issue? I figure it's probably me...) so here is a link (I hope this works) to a pic before I had the frame and forks powder coated:

http://motorbicycling.com/picture.php?albumid=825&pictureid=4275

Last edited:

GoldenSprocket

May 15, 2012
Southern California
Ok, still figuring out how to post stuff here.

I finished turning the top tube of the frame into a gas tank. I measured the water that I drained out after doing the 48 hour leak down test and it came out to about 66 fluid ounces.

The whole process was ridiculously easy to do.

Here is some pics of the Felt Canvas after I did the Caswell coating and finished installing the KW Machineworks gas cap kit:

http://motorbicycling.com/picture.php?albumid=825&pictureid=4523

http://motorbicycling.com/picture.php?albumid=825&pictureid=4524

http://motorbicycling.com/picture.php?albumid=825&pictureid=4525

I really wish I could figure out how to resize the pictures to fit as attachments...

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Welcome to the forum.......I love the Felt builds (^) I'm assuming you epoxied the bung to the tank rather than welding? Keep the pics coming, looks great so far!

dnut

GoldenSprocket

May 15, 2012
Southern California
Welcome to the forum.......I love the Felt builds (^) I'm assuming you epoxied the bung to the tank rather than welding? Keep the pics coming, looks great so far!

dnut
Actually, that was something I am a little worried about...

I used JB Weld to put on the gas cap bung, but I am worried about the fuel petcock area.

I followed the video that Ken at KW Machineworks posted on YouTube, and he just drilled, and tapped the hole for the fuel valve, but it looked like there was less than 3/16" of material for the valve to screw into. It is snugly in there, and it passed the 48 hour leak down with flying colors, but I just worry it will come loose and/or strip out the threads.

Any suggestions to beef up the area? Anything you got will be much appreciated.

P.S. Scotto- I am a huge fan of your "Slant" build. .wee.That thing is nuts!!!!

GoldenSprocket

May 15, 2012
Southern California
Here are some pics after I finished the tank, and bolted up the basic parts to turn it into an actual bicycle:

http://motorbicycling.com/picture.php?albumid=825&pictureid=4528

http://motorbicycling.com/picture.php?albumid=825&pictureid=4526

The frame, rims, fork blades, and chain guard are powder coated in "Bengal Silver" at Andrews Powder Coating in Chatsworth. They did a really nice job, no orange peel, just buttery smooth silver!

I have a Sportsman rear sprocket adapter installed with a 44 tooth rear sprocket. The stock Shimano coaster hub was retained, but I re-laced it with fresh Sapim 12 gauge spokes (I think they were 259mm long)

The front hub is a Sturmey Archer 90mm drum with 3w dynamo. I used 14 gauge Wheelsmith spokes, with brass spoke head washers and aluminum nipple washers, which was necessary because the hub and rim were drilled for 12g spokes. Using a 50mm wide Felt rim, the washers and this hub, the spoke length was 251/250mm, FYI

I am still experimenting with locking down the brake arm.

I am thinking about switching the side the brake is on... Will the S/A Dynamo work if it run backwards? I will hook up a voltmeter and see...

I switched the 26X2.5 Maxis Hookworm tires out for the standard Quick Bricks when I realized the front tire was rubbing on the frame downtube. It still rubbed with the QBs so I took another look at the fork and did some research on stack height for the ProFlex. Turns out they are very sensitive to stack height! I took out all spacers from under the top clamp on the fork and now it has no issues.

More to come later...

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Felts are always a great choice for a motorized bicycle; & those KW filler caps have really changed the game... (Get the KW motor mounts too if you're using a 2-stroke). (^)

I would run the dynamo the way the instructions say. ;)

GoldenSprocket

May 15, 2012
Southern California
Felts are always a great choice for a motorized bicycle; & those KW filler caps have really changed the game... (Get the KW motor mounts too if you're using a 2-stroke). (^)

I would run the dynamo the way the instructions say. ;)
I did get the KW motor mounts, but I did not specify the distance between the mounting holes, so I am waiting to get the right one from KW. On my engine the distance between the mounting holes is 2" center to center.

I wish I could find my voltmeter... I'm pretty sure I got it back from my father in law... Or did I?

GoldenSprocket

May 15, 2012
Southern California
OK, I have some more pics to post... Thank you Barely Awake for the thread on pic resizing!

Here it is with the chain guard in place... I used friction shifter hardware to hold it in place and give some quick release ability (I'm hoping I can get it tight enough+ blue lock tight that it won't come loose. We'll see!)

In these pics it has the Quick Brick tires and the brake swapped over to the other side... I will probably swap the brake back to the other side when I try to re fit the hookworm 2.5" tires.

I am still concerned about the fuel valve not having enough threads in the tank to hold properly... Should I just JB Weld it in place? Then I cant take it out... Ideas anyone?

I am hoping the carbon fiber bars will help to damp out some of the vibration of the buzzy China Doll. Even if it is no different, at least they satisfy my irrational need for light/high quality materials.

Still experimenting with the seat (this one is from a Felt Vintage Iron-I think)

Decals will be going on eventually... there will be small pin up girls on the front of the tank, with felt logos on the tank, headstock and chain guard for a relatively factory look.

Attachments

GoldenSprocket

May 15, 2012
Southern California
I got the decals from pinupsplus.com ...Great selection, lots of themes. I went with the "bomber girl", being a USAF veteran and all.

Currently, I am waiting for the right engine mount from KW, which is now on its way. The next item on the agenda is to get the brake arm situation figured out before bolting in the 66cc of neck snapping power (lol) Probably just going to drill and trim it like I have seen builders on other threads doing

I also finally got the light I will be using with the dynamo front hub. Thinking about how I'm going
to mount it... Maybe through a racing number plate I have (from a Felt "Vintage Iron")

Attachments

Last edited:

GoldenSprocket

May 15, 2012
Southern California
Got the motor on it! Took It for its maiden voyage!xct2

Well.... was a 20 minute, very slow and leisurely putt around the neighborhood just getting used to all the noises this thing makes over just riding the bike with no motor.

Had to make some chain adjustments, but it ran!

It ran OK, but not great. I just adjusted the throttle cable until it idles well, but did not play with any of the adjustments, ran out of day light. Will tune some more tomorrow.

Here are some pictures of the bike just before it's maiden voyage!

Next I need to deal with the light/dynamo/front brake issue.

More to follow....

Attachments

GoldenSprocket

May 15, 2012
Southern California
WOW! NICE BUILD! Love the color and graphics choices! What fork is that? Looks tough!

I think the Fork came off of a late 90's ProFlex 856, but I could be wrong. I got it off ebay for a great price. I like that this one has a coil spring, and is not the more common elastomer bushing model (the elastomers "melt"...)

I think this fork was made under several names... Girvin, Noleen, ProFlex. I think K2 was even putting these on some of their bikes for awhile

This fork is really light, BTW

If you are going to run a ProFlex on these frames, make sure you get the stack height right! (no spacers for this fork below the top bracket on this size fork) If you put too many spacers under it, it moves the fork up too high and the tire will rub.

VeloDrome- I am really enjoying reading up on your four stroke Felt "Twin" build. I think I may need to do something similar with my 90mm S/A front brake/dynamo. right now I am running the original bracket attached to the "Aidel" clamp, but on the right side of the bike.

If I can get the dynamo to work spinning the wrong way, I am going to try and keep it this way (I like the angle of the brake arm better this way, with the odd front fork), but I have the feeling that I'm going to have to turn it around, so the wheel/dynamo is spinning the way Sturmey envisioned it turning.

GoldenSprocket

May 15, 2012
Southern California
I like the girl on the tank! It looks like a Reflex fork to me....

dnut

Go to pinupsplus.com They have a ton of beautiful girls with hundreds of backdrops

They are very reasonable, shipped fast out of SOCAL and will resize the pictures to whatever size you need. They make waterslide decals or vinyl stickers for cheap! (like $10-14)

These vinyl stickers were $11-something resized...

GoldenSprocket

May 15, 2012
Southern California
Last night I put the bike up on the stand and installed the headlight. I will eventually run the headlight wire through the left fork leg (it's hollow and will hopefully take the power wire from the dynamo out of sight).

While it was in the stand, I spun the wheel in both directions, and the light came on equally bright in both directions. The headlight has some kind of "surge" or "overpower" protection, so hopefully this is not hurting the dynamo.

I took it out for a couple of 20 minute slow putts, just around the neighborhood. I really like how stable and comfortable it is, hopefully it remains so when I can bring it up to speed.

I think I am only like 30% through the first gallon of gas, so I am still trying to keep the piston speed as low as possible.

It has gotten so much smoother and quieter. I turned in the screw on the carburetor until the idle seemed low but did not stall... then I adjusted the throttle so there is just a touch of slack

I have started fitting the rear fender (actually it is a re-purposed front fender)

I had to cut clearance for the engine chain, but a couple of minutes with an angle grinder took care of that. The pictures showing the fender are before I added the brace... It might be a little too much chrome, I may eventually put a black one on.

Attachments

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Go to pinupsplus.com They have a ton of beautiful girls with hundreds of backdrops

They are very reasonable, shipped fast out of SOCAL and will resize the pictures to whatever size you need. They make waterslide decals or vinyl stickers for cheap! (like $10-14)

These vinyl stickers were $11-something resized...
Tee Hee! I went to that site. Makes me want to do a Felt MP / bomber build just so I could use one for those stickers!