20 in. Tiburon advice

GoldenMotor.com

supernaut

Jan 8, 2012
KY
I'm new to motor bicycles and would appreciate some advice. I just bought an 2003 Gary Fisher Tiburon in great condition. Could anyone advise a 2-stroke kit for the 20 in. frame? I would like a jackshaft kit, but will be happy to start out simple and upgrade as I learn more. Thanks in advance for any tips and recommendations. I look forward to becoming a useful contributor to this forum. Be well and ride safe. J.

supernaut

Jan 8, 2012
KY
Ok, maybe I should include more info on my bike. I am considering a friction rig from Dax, but don't want to rule out a 2-stroke. I grew up riding them and would enjoy the wrenching.

I've been reading much about different setups and like the idea of the reliabity of a 4 stroke, but I'd like to do a 2-stroke. If I could only get my old '77 RM80 engine...

Anyway, could anyone advise a decent kit for this bike? I know I'm a new member, but I've really committed to this project and this forum is my best choice for input.

BTW, I was looking at the Grubee frame/engine kit and wondering if I could use my 20in. parts to create a real Frankenbike. Any help is greatly appreciated. Be well. J.usflg

Last edited:

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
I reckon the best advice anyone can give is to read, read some more and then read more. There is a LOT of info here and plenty f people ready to help. Sometimes we don't always know a lot about the specific bike you're wanting to work with and that makes it a little harder to offer good advice.

Maybe some of the other more experienced builders will stop by in a bit and offer their take on things. I know this though, post pics of your build, we like to see lots of pics, and it makes it easier to give sound advice when we can see what you're talking about.

Welcome to the best motor bike forum on the net and don't let this slow response to your thread discourage you. Things don't always move very fast around here.

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
That Grubee frame/engine combo looks pretty cool to me. I cant wait to see a pic of one completed. The only problem I see with the 20in tires on that frame is the rear brake bosses wont work- fine if your using a coaster hub I guess or can weld aluminum and relocate them. Personally I buy engine kits from BGF on ebay. The only engine I'll use from them is the "X80" type. Major problems with the z engines and I hear the T is the same. I like Grubee engines but I don't like their version of the CNS carb. The stock NT carb has always worked just fine for me. I have no experience with the friction drive set ups but I can say that dealing with DAX is always a good experience. Do some research on here and see what you come up with and good luck!

supernaut

Jan 8, 2012
KY
Thanks for the tips. I've ben doing a lot of reading. The Grubee frame is out. My biggest issue is frame size. This bike has 700c tires, but the frame has a 20in./51cm. sticker. The bikeshop guy said that is the "standover" size and not the frame.??? be well. J

eta: I'll post pics when I get started.