New guy...

GoldenMotor.com

Knucklehead

Apr 27, 2008
Tucson, AZ
OK, not to motorized "stuff" but to motorized bikes - complete idiot. Looking for some basics since I want to get going on a couple for my wife and I.
I understand the basics but some help in two areas, please. First, how much space is needed for the motor inside the frame? I see various creative setups but have yet to see any real measurements or specs to help. Seems inportant when picking out the bike to modify.
Now the dumb question. Do these use a regular manual clutch for starting the motor, stopping at lights, etc? Or pull start and centrifugal clutch? Or is that a choice I need to make?

Thanks in advance! Really enjoy the posts and the insights!

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
fairracing tends to post an image from time to time that shows the required measurements for the china 2-strokes.

They come with a manual clutch. I've seen several pull-start addons on ebay that give you a pull start, and some have centrifugal clutches as well. This is just regarding the Chinese 2-strokes. Other motor kits may be different.

Knucklehead

Apr 27, 2008
Tucson, AZ
Found a pretty decent looking (for the Chinese Outlet Store, WalMart) 26 inch single speed coaster brake bike tonight - didn't buy them yet because want to verify. Looking at Spooky Tooth motor kit and dimensions above look for 11 inches crank tube to top tube. The La Jolla has 11 1/4 by my measurement in the store BUT the lower tube is curved. Anyone looked at this bike or mounted a motor?
Thanks for the help and the patience!

Jimbo

Jun 21, 2008
Vail Az.
Hey new guy, The La Jolla wont work, I tried it The curved up front bar makes it too tight. I ot the schwinn for my first build, Kept the La Jolla for a peddeler Jim

Bike Lane Motors

Aug 26, 2008
OC, California
My first build was for the Schwinn Jaguar from WM. The install was basic until it came to the chain tensioner. I suggest ordering the Spring Loaded chain tensioner from Live Fast Motors.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Welcome to our world Knucklehead, if you don't have to have a new ride Pawn shops have some fair deals. I rode my Mongoose alum mtn bike to one one day to look around and the sales guy said it was too old for them to buy. I got the dvd i wanted and was still laughin' as I left. rotfl