looking into motorizing my bike

GoldenMotor.com

yours in unity

Apr 5, 2011
indiana
I've got a full suspension gt xcr 5000 mountain bike. its my first choice of bikes to motorize. a few things come to mind though, 1st thing is that its got a pretty small space in the middle of the frame, i dont know if any motor kits would fit. the 2nd thing is, with the rear shock, it seems like it might cause some issues with the tension or alignment of the chain. I also have an old Specialized mountain bike with what i believe is the typical "v" frame. i know there'd be room for the engine on that one, but i dont quite get the picture of how the mountain system works. do they normally accommodate thick and thin frames?

By the way, i wrecked my car and was looking into easy and affordable daily transportation, and this is a lot more interesting than a scooter or moped

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
The full suspension bike might give you headaches when trying to install an engine due to the tension issues you mentioned.
I would say to use the mountain bike for your initial build, to get experience in how its done, then you can try working with the other bike.
There are various mounts and clamps available for mounting to thick and thin frames.

yours in unity

Apr 5, 2011
indiana
good to know. so the full suspension is pretty much out of the question. are there any kits anyone could recommend for a thin framed mountain bike? has anyone gotten a 4 stroke engine then the rest of the kit separately? I've been hearing about 3hp 4 strokes that they make clutches for go-carts. it seems like that might get more expensive than the kit though.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Well, the full suspension bike can probably be motorized with a friction drive setup on the rear wheel, so it is not really out of the question as far as motorizing it, but from your posts, I am thinking that you are more looking towards an in-frame engine.
I have no experience with the 4-stroke in-frame kits, so I can't help you with that one, but feel free to post a message in the 4 stroke subforum for more info and answers.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
My first build was a Gary Fisher with over sized tubes, but a standard "V" frame. It was lots of fun, I came up with some simple motor mounts using electrical conduit brackets and metal electrical box covers. I think all told I spent and extra 12 bucks for mounting materials. I used my bike for a daily driver most of last summer.

I did have to rebuild my carb while sitting on the curb. Some crap got stuck in the float. My muffler rattled off once and scared the bejesus out of me. And there are lots of other adventures I had as a result of the engine not functioning as planned, butt I had tools in my back pack and I even had to pedal home once, but it was cheap fun transportation.

Remember with the in frame two stroke, half the fun is tinkering with them.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Remember with the in frame two stroke, half the fun is tinkering with them.
Yes, Ferball is right. On my friction drive bikes with the Tanaka or Robin-Subaru engines, I just get on and ride, it is so simple, there is nothing really on there to 'play' with.
With the in frame two stroke there are all kinds of things to tinker with; make sure your bolts are tight, read the spark plug, check chain tension, upgrade your plug, wire, carb, muffler, etc.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
That's why I just ordered one.

I got so many hours into building my Chinese 2 stroke, I can only imagine the hours of tinkering ahead.

Number 2 with the friction drive Robin Subaru on the back won't look so "cool", but trigger throttle and centrifigal clutch not to mention a fan cooled industrial motor will make for worry free riding.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Number 2 with the friction drive Robin Subaru on the back won't look so "cool", but trigger throttle and centrifigal clutch not to mention a fan cooled industrial motor will make for worry free riding.
You mentioned centrifugal clutch, referring to the Robin-Subaru and other industrial engines...
Did you know that the is a centrifugal clutch avaliable for the in frame two stroke? I installed one on mine and I will have a CF on all my future builds.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
You could do what I did & make a front rack to motorize the front wheel. This keeps the pedal drivetrain isolated from the motorized side & can switch easily back to unmotored easily without permanent bike modification.
-lowracer-

showcaller

Mar 9, 2011
Los Angeles
By the way, i wrecked my car and was looking into easy and affordable daily transportation, and this is a lot more interesting than a scooter or moped

By definition you ARE building a moped! I have a 26" beach cruiser with a 49 CC china girl and it seems like there is always something that needs to be adjusted but I am actually enjoying all the tinkering. Haven't had any real major issues yet but I can see the day coming where I will want another bike, probably with one of the four strokes on it.

GEJoe

Mar 30, 2011
Tennessee
I just bought a DAX friction drive with the 4.2 hp GT50R. Duane says I can cruise up hills now without pedaling. I used to have (will be switched as soon as the Dax arrives) the old 24.5 cc Golden Eagle, but in addition to pedaling up every small hill, had to upgrade to 12 guage spokes and buy a new belt every season. I live in the mountains now and am looking forward to trouble free and no pedaling!

SupaBaked

May 8, 2011
San Francisco
By the way, i got my license suspended and was looking into easy and affordable daily transportation, and this is a lot more interesting than a scooter or moped
There FYP (fixed your post) to fit my situation. And ya, technically it's a moped, but when you pass a school yard on a moped all the kids don't come running over to their fence , screaming and raising their hands in the airdnut