60 MPH...achieveable? Who cares?!? Let blueprint an engine!

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
It's WAY too close to April Fools' Day to take this thread even a little bit seriously

o.o

I wanna see pics, plans & parts.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Well I guess somebody will show us 60mph when they are good and ready......

But for now, this is just ANOTHER BS thread.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
...Yes; DV and I are going to build a bike...nothing unobtanium...with a China engine...that will clock 60 mph or better at our local dragstrip. An official time slip, and a GPS log will verify the run.

The engine will not be heavily modified...it doesn't need to be!...

That (& Jim sayin' it) is what's makin' my brain hurt o_O

pics, plans & parts plox

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Honestly: I don't understand what all the fuss is about.

DV will likely get it going 50mph today...no tuned pipe, nothing special...and nowhere near what I have planned as far as preparing for the track.

Some of you guys must have really whimpy engines and some bad experiences to be so adamant that it can't be done.

Anyway, I fully expect it to be a slow go from 50-60 unless I hit the right combo...right off the bat. We'll keep ya'll posted.

The bike we're going to be using for the final assembly hasn't even arrived yet. I don't want DV riding this one past 50.

Jim

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
Lol and poor DVbikes is the guinea pig :D
I hope you guys aren't just using a old mountain bike.. *shudders*.duh.
You can bet that this bike won`t be or look in and way like any of the normal bicycles that members build on this site.....I was checking out one on YOUTUBE from Calif. that looked more like a small motorcycle with pedals.....I don`t see spoked rims being used, or the normal bearings and axles....My axle was bent on my Trek800 Mountain Bike from a pretty decent motor build....
Not knocking the build just pointing out the obvious that will need to be changed....

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
I am all for Jim's team. I have been obsessed with mopeds and the like my entire life. Jim is correct, these motors are fully capable of 60. Many older actual "mopeds"(When I say moped I mean moped, Motorized Pedal bike. MOPED! if it doesn't have pedals its a scooter or motorcycle) They had very small engines and did 60 while weighing a ton as compared to these. Plus engine tech is far improved, bottom line is I am sure it will happen with Jim on it, now I remember why I just started doing my work instead of being on the forum because of all the ney sayers and knowitalls saying you can't do that blah blah blah, human ingenuity will beat all ney sayers always has always will!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
It's never been the speed so much as the lack of substantiation - obv if anyone can smack a HT into breaking 50 Jim can...

The "ney sayers" are usually in response to off the wall claims, duct-tape bikes & armchair engineers - often in the interest of preventing false expectations by those new to this game.

All that's ever been asked for is a lil proof lol

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
It's never been the speed so much as the lack of substantiation - obv if anyone can smack a HT into breaking 50 Jim can...

The "ney sayers" are usually in response to off the wall claims, duct-tape bikes & armchair engineers - often in the interest of preventing false expectations by those new to this game.

All that's ever been asked for is a lil proof lol
I CONCUR!!

Less talk, more proof... (that's all we want) ;)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
One time, I went 100 mph on a Honda 100cc. All I had to do was replace every last part of the bike but the frame and transmission. New head, jug, piston/rod, pipe, carb, not to mention all the other stuff like handlebars, suspension parts, wheels, pretty much everything....is it still a Honda 100cc? Is a race ready stock car a "stock car"? If I change everything but one part, is it still the same machine?

one time, at band camp....

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
I am all for Jim's team. I have been obsessed with mopeds and the like my entire life. Jim is correct, these motors are fully capable of 60. Many older actual "mopeds"(When I say moped I mean moped, Motorized Pedal bike. MOPED! if it doesn't have pedals its a scooter or motorcycle) They had very small engines and did 60 while weighing a ton as compared to these. Plus engine tech is far improved, bottom line is I am sure it will happen with Jim on it, now I remember why I just started doing my work instead of being on the forum because of all the ney sayers and knowitalls saying you can't do that blah blah blah, human ingenuity will beat all ney sayers always has always will!
Well the MOPEDS were variated 1 to 2 speed drive trains, most were reed valve motors,Belt driven drive tranes, a lot better intake tracks(carb.`s and intake), tranfer ports were better/bigger.....A much better after market parts program....IMO these china motors aren`t too much like the MOPED motors but I guess if you Franken build one it can be pumped up to run like a moped.....JMO.....

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
C'mon guys...some of you are making me out to be the school bully who's giving everyone a wedgie.

Chill out...It's just a bicycle with an engine on it. As I already said in previous posts...this is being built for a customer in Trinidad. As also stated in previous posts...it's the bike...not the engine, that makes "fast" a reality. 67 cc's, tuned, is more than enough to go fast.

The bike that I plan on using for the Trinidad build will be shipped tomorrow. DV went 43.7 on the GPS today. It was scary seeing him go that fast! That's it for this bike...I'm not willing to push it any further without a strong platform to take it to the next level.

Maybe I'll hit 52 mph, and that will be it!!! Who knows...who cares...it's just for fun. I told the customer in Trinidad that I would get the most out of it that I could. Plain and simple...I will have created a sturdy, safe, fast motorbike. If he wants more...he'll have to go elsewhere as I will have done all I can to make a fast bike.

Jim

Last edited:

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
OK,WE Will all shut up, would that make you happy,LOL.......You started this thread....What do you want us to do, just sit here and look at you post up progress reports and not say a word about anything????I enjoy looking and posting on a lot of members posts on this site....Nothing negative, just constuctive critisism(sp?),and maybe a little help given and received........I`ve done it, but never thought to post it on a site.....Everything is chilled brother....Just keep on keepin on....Lets see it....

Status
Not open for further replies.