Manic Mechanic isn't closing shop

GoldenMotor.com

scott83

Oct 23, 2009
Indiana
Got my sprocket adapter and sprocket last week they look great....thanks to a midnight ride by a teenager i need to repair alot on the bike before i can install them. Thanks for the parts... hope you can hang in there!!

lovehamr

Oct 9, 2009
GA
Got my sprocket adapter and sprocket last week they look great....thanks to a midnight ride by a teenager i need to repair alot on the bike before i can install them. Thanks for the parts... hope you can hang in there!!
Oh crap man, is the teenie bopper OK?
zpt

Brvnkaerv

Aug 11, 2009
Tampa Fla.
I have always wanted a couple of those clutch actuators. I have been hoping they would become available again. I hope the Manic Mechanic can stay in business. I guess I will go to the site and see if there is anything else I can order. Brvnkaerv

Last edited:

bare bones

Jul 12, 2009
Austin
I just bought an intake and another sprocket (i bought the clam shell a few months ago). I wish you good luck Jim; you make great stuff! :)

jimraysr

Apr 19, 2008
Glendale, AZ
I rather doubt that the products Jim makes for us will pay for even the depreciation on the equipment.

I got a sprocket and hub adapter. What a great product. I paid less than $60 for both including shipping. I am sure a profitable shop making the same items would need 3 to 4 times that amount and then only break even.

Consider the overhead for light and power, R&D time, machine investment, labor, taxes (self employment, SS, etc.) scrap from production, raw material costs, tool sharpening and replacement. It goes on and on.

He developed his items and obviously to me did not try to recover all that time and material. That won't pay the bills.

Love of an endeavor and making a living are two different things. We (I) could not afford his items if they were priced commercially. He may be taking orders for material he has on hand while trying to find a real source of income. Manufacturing is very soft these days. Independent shops are hurting. When the economy is slow, the manufacture can afford to wait 6 weeks for components to arrive from the Peoples Republic of ???.

I feel very fortunate that I am semi-retired and everything is paid for. Some of our grand kids are just getting out of college and are going to have a rough time getting a job to repay their college loans plus start families.

Those are the facts as I see them. I could be wrong. I have been before.

Jim

michaelgrav

Sep 14, 2009
sf bay area
You did a good job with the Sprocket Adapter.
I like to see more engineering for the Jack Shaft Assembly for these bikes and also a mini ignition system with battery?
The weak point in these motorized bikes are the 2 long chains and of course that stupid sprocket adapter that came with the kits! laff
Belt drive is nice like the Whizzer but I like gears man .wee.

jbones9869

Nov 24, 2009
Chicago
I ordered a sprocket adaptor, 40 tooth sprocket, and a motor mount from jim... i have heard nothing but good things about his products. I left a message on his phone to confirm my order and ask him if there was anything else he needed from me. Anyone know how long it will take to get the parts? I dont want to bother him if I dont have to. Anyways... that was my $107 to the keep jim in business fund!

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Thanks to all of you guys!!! Your orders, and support, will never be forgotten!

Manic Mechanic products are going to be here for the life of motorized bicycles...We have the technology and equipment to introduce new products as the market demands.

Karen and I do the best we can to get the orders out. I know at times our best isn't good enough and our customers get frustrated with the long wait. Just always know that we are an honest business. I always keep enough money to the side; to refund every order that is currently in the book. I have no problem what-so-ever issuing a refund for an order that is late...just don't do a paypal dispute or bash me on the forums...that's all I ask.

I have an "Old School" attitude when it comes to customer service.

Some consider, "Good", customer service to be a constant communication thing where I must spend hours on emails, texting, tweeting, my space, etc. I don't have time for this silliness...I run a manufacturing operation. I have a phone and the number is 727-768-9510...If I need a photo to clarify your order, I'll ask for an email...otherwise emails will not be answered unless I'm really bored and have nothing else to do...which is rare laff

To me: customer service is ensuring that everyone gets the parts that they need and that the parts fit properly for thier application. This customer service commitment is "Huge" when talking about MB's.

Jim

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
jimraysr,

You hit the nail on the head!

I have based my prices for MB parts on volume. The volume isn't there yet, but I'm confident that eventually there will be enough volume to pay back the time and tooling expense that went into making these products available. I'm in it for the long haul.

Jim

jbones9869

Nov 24, 2009
Chicago
"I have an "Old School" attitude when it comes to customer service."
I wish this was the attitude all over the US...plus the quality... than I am sure, we'd be on top of the world, once again.
So true... my father used to be able to make a decent living in tool & die / injection molding... the new trend is to make everything overseas. We've lost sight of good old american manufacturing...

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
I just want to say that I ordered 2 hub adaps. 2 sprockets, a manifolf, and a motor mount. I do gotta say that it did take awhile to get, but I waited it out, and couldn't be more than satisfied. The hub adapts go on so straight and easy, I will not even mess with the stupid stock rag joint thing.Oh and people need to understand when ordering that their parts need to be made custom, custom fit, along with other peoples, so it will take a lil while. They were great to deal with, and Karen had Great customer service,lol. I will be ordering from them for future builds fo sho. Thanks guys.
Ron

Last edited: