Tanaka 32cc Nitromethane Experiment

GoldenMotor.com

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
Hi all,

I have been toying with trying nitromethane fuel on my bike for a while. I've to this point been put off by the messages on here warning dire consequences should this be used alone but I am trying to test different mixtures of petroil/nitromethane.

I had a 3/4 tankfull on the bike of normal mixture so I thought I would add a little of the NM to it. All in all I added 3 teaspoons of NM to the tank and filled up the rest to make sure it had mixed.

Effectively that was 15ml of NM in 770ml.

At this ratio I didnt have any expectations at all - given the amount was so low. I am amazed the difference it has made. The bike is slightly more responsive and it holds speeds better in headwinds (a GEBE weakness) but its in the starting that the real difference is found.

It used to be that it would need 4-5 pulls on choke to get a cold engine to start (mine is the Tanaka 32), and 2-3 pulls to fire a warm/hot engine. With just that small amount of NM in the fuel mix, its now one pull with choke to start a cold engine and one (choke off) to start a warm one. I actually pulled the starter as hard as I would normally this morning and hurt my arm because the engine fired almost immediately.

I have checked the plug and it is the same lovely tan colour as it was before I started so I am not running lean. What I will probably do in the next few days is put another 15mls in the tank to see the difference - ie to see if it will help performance without hurting the motor.

I have added 50mls to my remaining mix in the 1 gallon can that I use which is a little lower than what I have in the bikes tank so I will see if the effect is the same...

Jemma xx

WARNING: Nitromethane fuel is Methanol based. Methanol is a metabolic poison and can KILL. It can be absorbed through the skin, and both fuel fumes and exhaust fumes can be dangerous. Use gloves when handling it, and if any area of skin comes in direct contact, rinse IMMEDIATELY.

Methanol

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I ran out of gas at work one day and did not have enough to get home. Instead of pedaling to the gas pump I used some Nitro...I know what you mean it will run like a Champ!!

But I did not take the time to mix fuel/oil correctly....I did not get very far when my wrist pin started to go out. I also twisted the crap out of the motor :D

:ride2:

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
I ran out of gas at work one day and did not have enough to get home. Instead of pedaling to the gas pump I used some Nitro...I know what you mean it will run like a Champ!!

But I did not take the time to mix fuel/oil correctly....I did not get very far when my wrist pin started to go out. I also twisted the crap out of the motor :D

:ride2:
which is why I am being nice to my motor - I cant afford to kill it - its my only form of transport and I can barely afford to run even that..

have you managed to fix it up, or is it terminal?

Jemma xx

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Yes I got it all fixed up and running great. I shut it down as soon as I noticed and was able to limit the damage.

I think Nitro will work just fine...Glad you are taking the time to do it right.

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
Good thread.....so the NM you used.....what concentration? What brand? Etc?
Hi,

the brand is Model Technics - the type is TechPower 25 glow fuel. This is 25% Nitromethane & 60% methanol.

It has a additive called SICAL in it which is supposed to cool the engine and provide better lubrication.

it also contains 15% EDL2 which is a synthetic lubricant.

Apparently this fuel is capable for use in both 2 and 4 stroke engines - so it might work with the 4 stroke kits as well..

glowfuel

Jemma xx

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Interesting. Seems like that could go in the can along with your 2-stroke oil when making up a batch of gas....a gallon of NM should last a while at that rate...might just make it worth it.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Just be very careful mixing alcohol based fuel with nitro to your two stroke mix....alcohol need roughly three times the volume to run as rich as gasoline. Too much and you are running very lean. Nitro effectively adds oxygen to the fuel causing it to run leaner still. Also, when mixing the airplane fuel, do you account for the 15% lubricant when adding your oil to the mix?

Tread lightly, as you seem to be doing, but be aware the "edge" is ahead in the fog you are travelling through.

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
Just be very careful mixing alcohol based fuel with nitro to your two stroke mix....alcohol need roughly three times the volume to run as rich as gasoline. Too much and you are running very lean. Nitro effectively adds oxygen to the fuel causing it to run leaner still. Also, when mixing the airplane fuel, do you account for the 15% lubricant when adding your oil to the mix?

Tread lightly, as you seem to be doing, but be aware the "edge" is ahead in the fog you are travelling through.
I dont count for the NM lubricant so I am running rich on oil - but then, since I am running a hotter fuel its probably better to run with more lubrication.

I have since doubled the ratio of NM - and the simple answer is DONT. The engine is showing signs of running lean which for a 1 - 2mph inprovement is not worth it. However for those with a tanaka engine a 50mls/gallon mix of nitro fuel is worth it just for the improved starting.

If I had an adjustable carb it might be worth playing around with it, but as I dont and dont have the money for it - I will leave it at current levels

Jemma xx

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You may be able to richen you air fuel ratio by counting the oil in the nitro fuel...by not counting it, you make the air/fuel mixture lean by diluting it with too much oil.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
for nitro try Morgan oil. if your close to a real speed shop you might be able to get pure nitro.
Klots used to sell nitro by the pint or quart.
some Go Kart shops sell it but don't know which ones to point you all to but you might try American Power Sports on line they sell all kind of things for racing/fun karts and minibikes very fun to look at catalog you can get from them as well and some of the things they sell can be used on your bikes.
I got my nitro pure form a electrical company line crew they would give me the pure nitro in plastic tubes that were used with ammonium nitrate to blast rock for power poles they always had the ammonium nitrate that had accidentally been opened up and had gotten wet and couldn't be used so they would toss it and keep the nitro just for us crazy kart racers to mix into the alcohol fuel. It was cheating but everyone cheated. Nitro would make the briggs scream and also cause thermonuclear meltdown got to run the engine slobbery rich as in unburned fuel going out the pipe at low rpms.

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
Oh dear - what have I started... rotfl

Incidentally there is a vid on youtube of a B&S engine running nitro - I think its a 3hp vertical shaft engine - I think the police round here would get upset about visible flames out of the exhaust lol

Im very tempted by the GP460, fast road gear and nitro combination, but I dont have the money for it and again with the police *sigh*

Jemma xx

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
Hi,

I just did a run out to see my grandmother - 22 miles round trip - to take my mind off things and try and cheer myself up.

I had noticed a few performance differences at first - but the difference now is amazing...

Distance: 21.1 miles (34.1km)
Max speed: 37.53mph
Average speed: 25.48mph
time : 50 minutes

This is an average of out and back - the max speed even downhill I have seen before is 35mph and the average speed is up by 3.5mph on the same journey.

While I had a tailwind on the way out, i was fighting a headwind on the way back and even in those conditions in 'racing trim' I was running between 27-30mph - before the bike would have been fighting to hit 26mph. The temperature is somewhere around 18 degrees centigrade.

The ONLY changes I have made are 2% or so nitromethane fuel and I have also purchased a riding hat/helmet for safety reasons and because I have people depending on me and my continued good health.

With tailwind - on a very slight upward grade I was hitting 36mph flat out at one point....!

Jemma xx

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
38mph with a 32cc Tanaka. That's pretty impressive. Nothing beats the sound of a two cycle revving to the hilt.
After a race, if I'm not in the front of the pack I need cough medicine to help me sleep better. Being behind someone who's running methanol irritates my eyes as well as my lungs.