are 2 stroke engine kits the same?

GoldenMotor.com

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
probably because it changes every week - order 3 kits on same day from same place and one will be a little different

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Great thread with no useful information as in which motor is better, the name and where to buy.
That is due to the fact that no motor is any better or worse than the next.
They all are super cheap in both price and quality. You get what you pay for... most of the time. Some of the worst looking motors run the best and last the longest while the really great looking motors don't run for any longer than 5 minutes before blowing up.
They all are a gamble. Do you feel lucky?

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Great thread with no useful information as in which motor is better, the name and where to buy.
You must not have read the thread very close. Go back and read posr # 27 about the "Red Bat" engines .By now, I've bought 8 different Chinagirl kits, And the 2 Red Bats that I have recieved from BGF by chance, was WAY better quality than any of the others. SMoother and quiter engines without all the ratteling and pinging. Even the packaging was intensly engineered and well thought out with very high quality ..

Last edited:

Tool Maker

Oct 28, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
Ok, I read all 5 pages. Ignoring the oil pissing match, here is my take:

1)
There is zero quality control on the 2 stroke, reduction geared engine with clutch as sold by LuckyEarlyBoyGivesBirdFast & other vendors. The engine may last an hour or a year. Usually shipped with loose screws, sometimes a loose head. Cylinders out of round as much as .015 May contain machining swarf & trash, large burrs etc.

2)
Even from the same vendor you may not get two engines alike, perhaps not even from the same factory. Virtually none of the parts are interchangeable unless by luck you get some from the same factory. According to the OP, the side covers & mag may be interchangeable, but even that may have exceptions.

So what do you guys do? Just buy a complete replacement engine? Do most of you have 3 or 4 engines laying around? I know some people here do a complete teardown on a new engine before running it, but that seems like a lot of work.

B.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
bought a z80 from bgf...had rattle from the box...after 1100 miles,some run so thin on oil mix that it shouldve popped, it didnt...i always babied it never going crazy speeds, and it finally popped...after a tear down of the engine i found screws on the bottom of the crankcase and the crank weights had separated, and like an above post i found a shrunken packing peanut soaked in oil in the case...just ordered my new kit and will do a top end tear down before install...

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
bought a z80 from bgf...had rattle from the box...after 1100 miles,some run so thin on oil mix that it shouldve popped, it didnt...i always babied it never going crazy speeds, and it finally popped...after a tear down of the engine i found screws on the bottom of the crankcase and the crank weights had separated, and like an above post i found a shrunken packing peanut soaked in oil in the case...just ordered my new kit and will do a top end tear down before install...
Can't really understand the English on this one ("some run so thin..." ) but it sounds like you had an engine make it 1100 miles even with a screw loose in the bottom end. Not bad in my book. Good testament to these wacky little engines , Although rattles in the box are best saved for Christmas presents! :-Dlaff

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
If you can't get 600 - 800 miles a month out of it for a year (with only minor repairs), you didn't get useful transportation to & from work. A decent motor should do that.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
Yes I must say that the previous kit did run very well even with the rattling out of the box...took it one day on literally a300 mile one way trip and then back the next day...so I guess you just get what you gey...I've learned a **** of a lot from this forum, busted knuckles and a mad as **** wife when I call her at 930 at night broke down in the middle of nowhere then fixing,rigging and finally getting home...all I have to really say is that you get what you pay for and do your homework...

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
It seems like its worth building one from parts or rebuilding your kit to make sure it's assembled properly, once that's done they're a great little mild two stroke cruiser motor.

BoDean_LP

Apr 25, 2012
Jeffersonville, Indiana
The cool thing about these engines is that they seem to run better the more you use them. (That is, until they break down.) Maybe that's because you always have to tinker with them a little bit, and each tinkering session improves the engine a little bit more. Maybe not. Lately I've been stopping about once every trip to make minor adjustments. That's not to mention the aircraft pilot style vehicle inspection before every ride.

Compared to boxy plastic motor scooters, these things are cake to work on. With scooters, road-side repairs turn into road-side piles of plastic cowling and such. I don't like anything that takes 30 minutes just to GET TO the engine. Though I must say, motor scooters seem to be more reliable. Actual mopeds (I mean the vintage ones that actually have pedals.) are easier to work on, but the parts can be quite pricey.

So, yes, you get what you pay for, but I think that dollar for dollar, they're a good bargain compared to other forms of non-licensed two-wheeled transportation.

goofyfoot2001

Aug 16, 2012
South Carolina
I'm trying to decide myself if I'm going to get another engine this year. I dicked around with the first one more than i got to ride. It. Im wondering. If anyone has a motor that works at all for any length of time.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Many members here have THOUSANDS of carefree miles on the Chinese made two stroke bicycle kits.

I have build many of them, and the biggest problem for me was one frame gave it up. Tires wear fast(er). The tensioners can be a hassle, but I personally have had good luck getting a couple thousand out of a kit before I sold it. Never had one come back either.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I will recommend thatsdax.
Others will recommend other sellers.
Read up a bit, do a little searching then buy what you want.

thatsdax has excellent customer service.

All the two stroke engine kit's can be problematic, or wonderful. I got lucky I guess, never had any serious problems.

Bonamarte

Feb 25, 2013
Oak Ridge, TN
I've noticed one supplier has a new carb with a paper cone filter on their engine kits while everything else I've seen looks like the same exact kit. So I saw some stuff earlier in this post about different manufacturers and I'm trying to figure out how to tell the difference. The more I read, the more lost I get. Anyone else recommend a certain supplier of engine kits for a first-timer?